This Creamy Chicken Lasagna recipe is brimming with layers of juicy chicken, tender noodles, and velvety homemade white sauce with plenty of gooey, melty cheese. It’s the ultimate comfort food that’s make-ahead friendly!
Cheesy White Chicken Lasagna Recipe
Aside from desserts, if you ask me what one of our favorite comfort foods is in this house, it has to be homemade lasagna. We make it so often, I even found a shortcut in the form of fast, easy Instant Pot Lasagna.
This creamy white chicken lasagna recipe is oven-baked the good old-fashioned way. It’s made from layers of the most irresistibly creamy white sauce, tender chicken, and a blend of melty cheese and spinach, stacked between lasagna noodles. It bakes up deliciously golden in under an hour, and it’s worth every minute!
Make this white lasagna ahead and freeze it, or keep it in the fridge for easy lunches all week long. The cheesy flavors are rich, comforting, and perfect for any time of the year.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This creamy chicken lasagna is a fun twist on traditional lasagna that’s just as comforting. Here’s why we love it:
- Use up leftover chicken. If you have a rotisserie chicken on hand, or chicken breasts from last night’s dinner kicking around the fridge, this lasagna is a wonderful way to use it. The rest of the ingredients are simple, too, so there’s a good chance they’re already in the pantry!
- Full of flavor. This lasagna is literally layer upon layer of hearty flavor. It has juicy chicken, seasoned cheese filling, plus a rich, buttery white sauce in between layers of tender noodles beneath golden, melty cheese.
- Make-ahead friendly. This chicken lasagna is easy to make ahead and stow away for last-minute freezer meals.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Below is a short overview of the ingredients you’ll need to make your chicken lasagna. Be sure to scroll to the recipe card below the post for the full ingredient details and amounts.
- Lasagna Noodles: You’ll need 16 lasagna pasta sheets in total.
- Chicken: This recipe is a great way to use up leftover cooked Chicken Breast. Alternatively, you can purchase a ready-cooked rotisserie chicken, or make shredded chicken at home.
- Spinach: I love including chopped fresh spinach in my lasagna, for extra nutrition and a pop of green.
- Cheese: This lasagna recipe combines ricotta and mozzarella for the cheese filling. Set aside additional mozzarella for sprinkling over top of the final layer.
- Egg: Adding an egg to the filling layer helps to bind the ingredients, for more stable slices.
- Seasonings: I mix Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper into the cheese for even more flavor.
For the Cream Sauce
- Butter: Because every good cream sauce starts with butter.
- Shallot and Garlic: You can also use finely diced white or yellow onion in place of shallots, along with garlic for aromatics.
- Flour: You’ll stir a bit of all-purpose flour into the butter for a roux, which acts as the base and thickener for the sauce.
- Chicken Broth: Use low-sodium chicken broth or Homemade Chicken Stock.
- Half and Half: Or heavy cream, to add richness to the white sauce.
- Cream Cheese: I recommend using the type of cream cheese that comes in blocks, brought to room temperature before you start. Cut it into cubes so that melts easily into the other sauce ingredients.
- Parmesan: No white sauce is complete without parmesan cheese. Freshly grated is best, but the regular pre-grated kind is fine, too.
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Chicken Lasagna
While the oven preheats to 375ºF, lightly spritz a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray. You’ll start with some quick prep:
- Cook the Pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the lasagna sheets al dente according to the package directions. Drain, then return the noodles to the pot with cold water to 1) stop the noodles from continuing to cook and 2) keep them from sticking while you prepare the filling.
- Shred the Chicken: Shred up or dice up your cooked chicken. I almost always have a batch of Shredded Chicken stashed in my freezer, too. It really comes in handy for recipes like this!
- Mix the Cheese Filling: Combine ricotta, spinach, and mozzarella with an egg, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir everything together and set the bowl aside for now.
Preparing the White Sauce
Once your other ingredients are prepped and waiting, you’ll make the white sauce:
- Sauté: Begin by sautéing the shallots in a large skillet with melted butter. Next, add the garlic, followed by the flour. Let the flour cook off for a couple of minutes, to create what’s called a roux.
- Combine and Cook: Whisk in your broth, half-and-half, cream cheese, and parmesan, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep whisking while the sauce bubbles and thickens, then take it off the heat.
Assembling and Baking Chicken Lasagna
Remember to drain and pat dry your cooked lasagna noodles before assembling your lasagna. Now, you’re ready to put everything together and bake:
- Assemble: Beginning by spreading a layer of white sauce into the bottom of your prepared baking dish, followed by a first layer of pasta noodles. Top the pasta layer with cheese filling, followed by shredded chicken, and finally another thin layer of white sauce. Repeat twice more, ending with a final layer of sauce before sprinkling over mozzarella cheese.
- Bake: Bake the lasagna for 35 minutes under foil, then remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes or so, until golden and bubbly at the edges. Allow the lasagna to rest for 15 minutes after it leaves the oven, then garnish with parsley, slice, and serve.
Tips and Variation Ideas
I love lasagna recipes because they’re nearly fail-proof! Here are some additional tips for the best homemade chicken lasagna, along with some ingredient variations:
- Pat dry the lasagna noodles. After you’ve drained the noodles for the second time and before layering your lasagna, pat the noodles dry so that your lasagna doesn’t come out too watery.
- Tent the foil with toothpicks. Stick a few toothpicks into the top of the lasagna to keep the foil from lying against the cheese.
- Let the lasagna rest before slicing. Cutting into your lasagna while it’s still hot from the oven will result in soupy, messy slices. Give the lasagna about 15 minutes for the cheese and filling to set up for cleaner slicing.
- Make it spicy. Add a sprinkle of crushed red chili flakes to the cheese filling for a subtle, spicy kick.
- Use cottage cheese in place of ricotta. If you don’t have ricotta cheese, substitute it with the same amount of cottage cheese instead.
This creamy white chicken lasagna is a meal on its own, or you can bulk up a cozy family dinner with Garlic Knots or a vegetable side, like Air Fryer Asparagus. I’ve also served this lasagna for dinner parties, leading into the meal with a starter of Tomato Feta Soup and a side of fresh garden salad tossed in Mediterranean Dressing. Finish things off with Homemade Cheesecake for dessert!
Storing and Reheating Leftover Lasagna
This white sauce lasagna is very make-ahead friendly. Sometimes I’ll make two: one to enjoy right away, and another to store or freeze for last-minute dinners down the road (see the next section for details on how to freeze it).
Store your baked and cooled chicken lasagna airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat the lasagna in the oven, covered in foil at 350ºF until warmed through. You can also reheat individual servings in the microwave. Sprinkle a bit of water over the lasagna prior to reheating, to help retain some of the moisture.
Can I Freeze Chicken Lasagna?
Absolutely! You can freeze the whole lasagna, or freeze portions. Simply wrap it tightly in plastic wrap plus a layer of foil, and keep it frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost the lasagna either in the fridge overnight, or in the microwave, and then reheat as usual.
More Cozy Chicken Casseroles
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Easy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Fiesta Chicken Casserole
- Easy Chicken Divan
- Poppy Seed Chicken
Creamy Chicken Lasagna
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
A Creamy Chicken Lasagna recipe brimming with juicy chicken and tender noodles layered with homemade white lasagna sauce and plenty of gooey, melty cheese.
- 1 pound lasagna pasta sheets, 16 total
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded from 12 ounce rotisserie chicken or 2 pounds cooked and cubed chicken breast
- Optional- chopped parsley for garnish
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
- 4 cups grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 whole egg
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 whole shallot minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups half and half
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature and cubed
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 375?F. Coat a 9×13 baking pan lightly with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water until al dente according to package instructions. Drain the noodles. Put the noodles back in the pot and fill with cold water to stop cooking and prevent the noodles from sticking. (see note*)
- Shred or cube the chicken and set aside.
- Cheese Filling: In a large bowl stir together the ricotta, spinach, 2 cups of mozzarella cheese, egg, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Cream Sauce: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Melt the butter and add in the shallots. Continue cooking for 3 – 4 minutes until softened and lightly golden. Add in the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Sprinkle the flour into the mixture and cook for 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in the broth, half and half, cream cheese, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Continue whisking until smooth and cook until bubbly and slightly thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Assembly: Spread 1/4 cup of the white sauce across the bottom. Add a layer of pasta across the bottom (4 noodles) and top that with 1/3 of the cheese filling. Top with 1/3 of the chicken, then 1/4 of the sauce.
- Repeat these layers 2 more times. Spread the remaining sauce on top of the last layer of noodles and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes (*see note). Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the top and edges are lightly golden.
- Garnish with chopped parsley if desired. Allow the lasagna to sit for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Before assembling the lasagna, pat the noodles dry.
- Before covering with foil to bake you can place a few toothpicks in the lasagna to prevent the foil from sticking to the cheese.
- Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Keywords: chicken lasagna, white chicken lasagna, white lasagna
Want To Save This Recipe?
Find more recipes like this:
PIN for later: