This Creamy Tomato Shrimp Pasta recipe is better than your favorite Italian restaurant! Creamy tomato sauce coats juicy shrimp and penne pasta, with just the right amount of spice from the crushed red pepper. This will quickly become a family favorite dinner!
Love shrimp? Make sure to try my Shrimp Scampi Recipe! It’s a quick dinner idea that everyone loves!
Homemade Creamy Shrimp Pasta Is Better Than Dining Out!
This easy seafood pasta is easy to make (my teens make it) and loaded with flavor, and honestly as good as any pasta I’ve had out to eat. You can make this as spicy or mild as you prefer, and you can even make easy substitutions to accommodate what you have in your kitchen! The creamy tomato sauce is packed with flavor and the shrimp are the perfect addition, making this as elegant as it is easy. All done in 30 minutes, this will be one of those recipes you will know by heart soon enough!
Creamy Tomato Sauce is Flavor Packed!
A lot of flavor is hidden in the sauce for this Creamy Shrimp Pasta. Let me explain. I start with a can of crushed tomatoes, but use garlic, clam juice and white wine to really add depth. Dried basil, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper add in a layer of seasoning, while the heavy cream adds richness. Finally some fresh grated Parmesan cheese really brings it all together!
- Medium shrimp. I like a medium-large size (36-40 per pound) but you can honestly use whatever size shrimp you prefer!
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Crushed tomatoes
- Basil. I use dried bail in the sauce and fresh to garnish!
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- White wine. If you don’t like to cook with wine, or just don’t have any in your house you can use chicken broth instead, although I really love the flavor the wine adds!
- Clam juice. This adds a really nice depth of flavor to your sauce.
- Heavy whipping cream
- Penne pasta. You can really use any type of pasta, but I like the size of the penne paired with the shrimp in this recipe!
- Parmesan cheese. I recommend using fresh grated Parm in this recipe as opposed to the pre-grated. And please don’t use the powdered kind!
How To Make Creamy Shrimp Pasta
Like I have said, this is an incredibly easy dish to make, and it can be done in 30 minutes!
- Sauté the seasoned shrimp and garlic in olive oil and remove them from the pan.
- Without cleaning the pan add in the crushed tomatoes, basil, crushed red pepper, wine, clam juice, and cream. Cook until it begin to thicken.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta according to the package directions and drain.
- Add the cooked pasta into the thickened sauce along with the shrimp, and some of the Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired and garish with more cheese, and fresh herbs if desired!
How To Adapt This Recipe FAQs:
- What If You Don’t Have Wine? No problem use chicken broth instead! If you don’t have chicken broth either, reserve some of the pasta water and add that instead!
- Do I Have To Use the Clam Juice? You don’t HAVE to, but it really adds a nice, subtle flavor to the sauce. If you just don’t want to add this, you can also sub in broth instead. Note that the more adaptations you make to the recipe, you lose the impact of the flavors!
- What If I Don’t Want To Use Shrimp? You can use chicken instead as an easy swap, or omit them entirely!
- Can I Use Other Kinds Of Pasta? Absolutely. You can really use whatever pasta you like, I wouldn’t recommend Angel Hair or any other thin pasta, as it will soak up more of the sauce and you won’t have the right pasta/sauce ratio!
- Can I Use Jarred Tomato Sauce Instead Of Crushed Tomatoes? Yep! Jarred sauce generally is already seasoned, so if you do make this swap, make sure to adjust the added seasoning as necessary.
How To Store Creamy Shrimp Pasta:
Store this airtight in your refrigerator for no more than 2-3 days after making. I don’t recommend freezing leftovers.
Here Are A Few More Seafood Pasta Recipes You Will Love:Print
This amazingly delicious Creamy Shrimp Pasta is an easy, yet elegant dinner! Perfect for weeknight dinner, or entertaining, this dish is better than your favorite Italian restaurant!
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 – 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15- ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/3 cup clam juice
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 3/4 cup (or more) fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- optional – chopped fresh parsley and fresh basil to garnish
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep dish skillet over medium heat. Add in the shrimp and garlic and cook for about 4 minutes until the shrimp is pink and opaque. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- Without cleaning or draining the pan, add the tomatoes, basil, red pepper flakes, wine, clam juice, and heavy cream. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low to simmer for 8 minutes to thicken.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta according to the package directions and drain.
- Add 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, shrimp, and cooked pasta into the sauce and stir to combine. Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Garnish with the remaining grated cheese and fresh herbs if desired.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I prefer using wine in this recipe, but broth is a good alternative.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, shrimp pasta, pasta recipe, shrimp recipe, creamy shrimp pasta
Want To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later: