Today I am sharing my favorite Crockpot BBQ Chicken Recipe EVER! This easy shredded chicken is simple to make with a zesty secret ingredient that sets it apart! Perfect for a weeknight dinner, party, or game day!
Make sure to try my Homemade BBQ Sauce for this recipe too!
Table of Contents
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken Is An Easy Dinner Idea!
- So What’s The Secret Ingredient In This Shredded BBQ Chicken?
- How To Make Shredded Chicken In Your Slow Cooker
- What Else Can You Do With Shredded Chicken?
- PRO TIP:
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches Are The Perfect Party Food!
- Can You Freeze This BBQ Chicken?
- Get the Recipe
Crockpot BBQ Chicken Is An Easy Dinner Idea!
You guys know I am an easy dinner kind of gal. Make it an easy slow cooker recipe and we’ve all leveled up our dinner game. AND this Crockpot Shredded Chicken Recipe is just as perfect in the cooler weather months as it is in the summer by the pool. Long story short, this is a year-round recipe.
PLUS I use a secret ingredient in my pulled chicken that really makes it special!
So What’s The Secret Ingredient In This Shredded BBQ Chicken?
Ok, so this might seem a little weird, but I swear it’s SO delicious! I add Italian Salad Dressing into my BBQ sauce, AND a packet of dry Italian salad dressing mix, like Good Seasons.
The extra flavor the Italian dressing adds doesn’t make it “Italian”, it just gives it an amazing flavor combination that you would never think would work together…but they do!
Like I said, not only do I use prepared Italian Salad Dressing, I throw in a packet of Good Seasons for good measure to really amp of the flavor, as well as being a shortcut seasoning step.
How To Make Shredded Chicken In Your Slow Cooker
The prep on this is literally 5 minutes. And since it’s a crockpot recipe, once you turn it on, you’re all set! It’s a true dump-and-go recipe…perfect for busy weekdays or feeding a crowd!
Side note – I researched the difference between pulled chicken and shredded chicken and couldn’t really find an answer! I guess pulled is generally used like “pulled pork” where you’re pulling it on the bone. But in this case we’re not using bone-in chicken, so…I refer to it both ways!
What Kind Of BBQ Sauce Do You Recommend for BBQ Chicken?
Certainly the quality of the BBQ sauce you use can make or break this recipe. And let’s be honest, some are better than others!
I use Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce most often. It’s easy to find, and it’s a great packaged sauce. Of course, my Homemade BBQ Sauce is incredible in this as well if you want to go that extra step! But here are some other brands that I really like:
- Trader Joe’s Kansas City BBQ Sauce
- Stubb’s Original BBQ Sauce
- Famous Dave’s BBQ Sauce
- Dinosaur BBQ Sauce
- Jack Daniel’s Original BBQ Sauce
- KC Masterpiece
Do You Cook This On Low or High?
Either! As with most slow cooker recipes you have the option of the high or low setting. This recipe will cook on high in about 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7. Of course all slow cookers heat a little differently but the time range listed in the recipe should be pretty spot on.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Crock Pot?
I know a lot of people do and say it works fine, but I’ve never tried it with this recipe. As long as chicken cooks to 165°F you should be fine, and of course this recipe cooks the chicken well past that temperature because it’s tender and shreddable.
I would imagine if you do use frozen breasts, you might need to add a little extra time to the cook time!
What Else Can You Do With Shredded Chicken?
This recipe is great served on buns as BBQ Chicken Sandwiches. I LOVE it with a little cole slaw for crunch! BUT don’t let that be the only option! Here are a few other ideas for ways to enjoy this Crockpot BBQ Chicken!
- Stuffed in a baked potato.
- In a tortilla as a taco with a little shredded cabbage and grated smoked gouda!
- BBQ Chicken Nachos!
- In a BBQ Chicken Salad.
- On it’s own!
Crockpot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches Are The Perfect Party Food!
Like I said above, this is a great weeknight dinner, especially when the family has busy schedules and everyone might need to grab dinner on the go. BUT This is a super dish to make for any type of party, game day or gathering.
Can You Double This Recipe To Feed A Crowd?
YES! This recipe easily can be doubled, but note you will need to add some cook time on and you will want to rearrange the chicken at least once while it’s cooking, to ensure all the chicken cooks evenly if it’s stacked!
Can You Freeze This BBQ Chicken?
Absolutely! This freezes so well. Just store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a month!
Looking For More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes? Try These:
- Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
- Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- Crockpot Cuban Pork
This super easy crockpot bbq chicken recipe is a great easy weeknight dinner, or perfect for a party!
- 3 pounds boneless chicken breasts, approximately 6 breasts
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 (0.7- ounce) dry Italian dressing mix, like Good Seasons
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Place all the chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the BBQ sauce, Italian dressing, dry Italian dressing mix, Worcestershire, and garlic. Pour this on top of the chicken.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-7 hours until the chicken shreds easily.
- Shred the chicken in the slow cooker, or remove the chicken breasts, shred separately, and return back to slow cooker. Mix to combine with the sauce.
- Serve warm
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 380
- Sugar: 24 g
- Sodium: 795.3 mg
- Fat: 10.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Protein: 38.9 g
- Cholesterol: 124.1 mg
Keywords: cookies and cups, chicken, bbq chicken, slow cooker chicken, crock pot chicken, crock pot bbq chicken, shredded chicken
Want To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later: