This Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken is packed with flavor and super easy to prepare! If you’re looking for an easy IP chicken recipe that everyone will love, this is it. PLUS you can make this in the slow cooker as well!
Easy Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
I LOVE easy chicken recipes. Chicken is just an easy option for weeknight meals because it’s so versatile. So learning how to cook chicken in an Instant Pot was a no brainer!
This is the type of chicken recipe that can be used in lots of different ways, eaten for multiple nights, and is pretty hard to mess up. I do shredded chicken in my slow cooker all the time, but being able to make it in just minutes is hugely helpful on busy nights!
What Is An Instant Pot?
This Instant Pot was a present I bought myself a few years ago. It’s basically a 7-1 cooker: it pressure cooks, slow cooks, sautés, steams, cooks rice, makes yogurt and has a porridge setting which I have no idea what to do with. Do people still eat porridge? Anyhow, I was most intrigued with the idea of the sauté and slow cook option as well as the pressure cook option. My current slow cooker doesn’t sauté in the pot, and it’s a feature I have always wanted. PLUS I have really wanted to dip my toes in the pressure cooking pond.
IP Chicken is EASY!
Making tender, fall apart chicken can take some time when you cook it using a traditional stovetop or oven method. It can take hours to make shredded chicken in the slow cooker or dutch oven. The Instant Pot changes all that. This recipe took me just 25 minutes! That’s it! 25 minutes is all that stands between you and perfect IP shredded chicken.
How to Make Salsa Verde Chicken in an Instant Pot
This recipe honestly couldn’t be any easier. Here’s what you do:
- Place 2 – 2 1/2 pounds of boneless chicken breasts in your Pressure Cooker.
- Add a teaspoon each of cumin, smoked paprika, and kosher salt.
- Then add a 16-ounce jar of salsa verde on top.
- Start up your IP on high pressure and cook for 25 minutes. Quick release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Simply shred the chicken in the juices, because that’s where all the flavor is.
How To Serve Salsa Chicken…
You can use this shredded chicken recipe in SO many ways! I love to make Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole with some of my shredded chicken for an easy weeknight dinner!
Or you can just make some rice, top it with the chicken, a little cheese and cilantro and have an easy meal.
Other ways to use this chicken include:
- Burritos – Stuff it into warm tortillas with some cheese, refried beans and some guacamole. However you like your chicken burritos, this shredded chicken is an awesome start!
- Tacos – The possibilities here are endless. Go crazy with those fixings and dig in.
- Quesadillas – Add the chicken between layers of cheese.
- Enchiladas – You could definitely use this IP chicken in my Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas.
- Taquitos – Crispy tortilla wrapped around IP chicken and melty cheese. Yes please.
- Burrito bowls – Add it to a bowl with Mexican rice and black beans. Top with diced tomatoes and sliced avocado, maybe some salsa and guacamole too for good measure!
These suggestions are really only the beginning. If you use this IP chicken in other ways please share your ideas in the comments!
How to Store and Reheat IP Chicken
Let your chicken come to room temperature and then refrigerate it in an air-tight container for 4-5 days.
My favorite way to reheat this chicken is on the stovetop. I just scoop the amount of chicken I’m going to eat into a small pan and then warm over low heat, stirring frequently, until the chicken is warmed though. You can also reheat this chicken in the microwave until heated through.
Can You Make Salsa Verde Chicken In the Slow Cooker?
The beauty of the Instant Pot is that you can either slow cook or pressure cook…but since I was low on time I used the pressure cooker option. I’m going to include the Slow Cooker method in the recipe as well. so you can really do it either way!
Helpful Instant Pot Tip:
If you buy the Instant Pot, please read all the instructions that comes with it, even if you’re familiar with pressure cooking. There was a bit of a learning curve for me, but once you understand how to use it, it’s a breeze!
Looking For More Instant Pot Recipes? Try These:Print
This Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken is packed with flavor and super easy to prepare! If you’re looking for an IP chicken recipe that everyone will love, this is it.
- 2 – 2 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 16 ounces salsa verde
- Place all the ingredients in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
- Set cooker to high pressure for 25 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, quick release the pressure and shred the chicken with 2 forks.
Slow Cooker option:
Prepare as instructed and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours or on high heat for 4 hours.
Keywords:: instant pot chicken breasts recipe, easy chicken breasts recipe, instant pot chicken, Mexican chicken recipe, IP chicken,
Want To Save This Recipe?
This post contains an amazon affiliate link. I was not sponsored by Instant Pot for this pot, but if you do buy it via my link I will earn a few extra dollars. Thanks!
PIN for later: