Whoopie Pie Cake is an instant favorite for not only kids, but adults too! This delicious double-layer dessert is filled with sweet Marshmallow Buttercream! Try this easy chocolate cake recipe out at your next party!
Easy Double-Layer Chocolate Cake Recipe
Sometimes simple is better. Actually most times, yes? So this post is gonna be simple.
This Whoopie Pie Cake was sort of accidental. Obviously not accidental in intention, but accidental in execution.
See, I was going to make this a super fancy, stack-o-whoopie pies piled up to make a giant gorgeous deconstructed type cake.
Unfortunately, ain’t nobody got time for that. Meaning me. I ain’t got time for that. So I took the easy route.
It might not be as visually appealing as a giant stack of whoopie pies…I mean not much would…but it is incredibly tasty.
And also, you can actually slice it without holding your breath.
Which is kind of important, because I can only hold my breath for like 7 seconds before I’m certain I will faint.
Annnnnyway. Whoopie Pie Cake. Simple. Delicious. Make it.
How to Make a Whoopie Pie Cake With Cake Mix:
Just start with a chocolate cake mix.
Listen to the directions, then add an extra egg.
Grease 2, 9×13 pans with butter and dust with cocoa powder.
Split the batter evenly between the 2 pans.
(Obviously if you don’t have 2 pans, just bake one at a time.)
When the cakes are done, allow them to cool completely.
Meanwhile mix up your filling. I’m talking butter, powdered sugar and Marshmallow Fluff…
When the cakes are cooled, plop that filling on the top of one of the cakes…
Spread it out evenly, and place the other cake on top.
Next make your chocolate ganache.
This is actually an optional step, but not really 😉
Just heat up some heavy cream to almost boiling and then add in your chocolate chips, stirring until smooth.
Cool the ganache slightly and pour that over the top of the cake…
Spread it to just about the edges of the cake and allow it to drip over the sides for dah-rama.
Let it set up a little bit and that’s it y’all.
Whoopie Pie Cake is an instant favorite for not only kids, but adults too! This delicious chocolate cake is filled with sweet Marshmallow Buttercream! Try this easy whoopie pie cake recipe out at your next party!
- 1 box Chocolate cake mix (prepared per package directions) + 1 extra egg
- *cocoa powder for dusting the pan
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups Marshmallow Fluff
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease 2 9×13 sized pans with butter and dust with cocoa powder, set aside.
- Prepare cake according to package directions, but add in an extra egg to the mix.
- Split the batter evenly between the 2 pans and bake for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool completely.
- In stand mixer beat butter and Fluff together until smooth.
- Turn mixer to low and slowly add in powdered sugar. Turning mixer back up, continue mixing for 30-60 seconds until smooth.
- Spread the filling on top of one of the cakes. Top the filling with the other cake.
you could also bake this in 2 9×9 round pans
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 507
- Sugar: 60.9 g
- Sodium: 405.1 mg
- Fat: 19.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 83.1 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 11.2 mg
Keywords: whoopie pie cake recipe, whoopie pie recipe, how to make a whoopie pie, how to make whoopie pie cake, homemade whoopie pie recipe, homemade whoopie pie cake recipe, easy chocolate cake recipe, chocolate cake recipe, easy chocolate dessert recipe