I know you’re thinking it’s weird to put popcorn on top of a cookie bar.
Sometimes you have to trust me, which I know it totally a sketchy thing to do…trust some random lady on the internet who is trying to fill you full of calories and nonsense.
But stick with me just a second.
I know the internet can fill your brain up with ideas you really want to be true, but aren’t. I mean, I want to live in a world where dogs dance salsa…
These bars are no eagle swooping down and snatching a baby. They are the reallll deallll.
I decided to make these bars while I was taking part in a fun webinar a few weeks ago hosted by Land O’Lakes® and The Pioneer Woman. The talk of the day was about new food trends coming up in 2013, as well as the new Land O’Lakes® Butter in Half Sticks, which solves a world of problems for those of you who don’t use butter by the poundful
Anyhow, the webinar also included some fun panelists…girls I totally adore…Julie from The Little Kitchen, Sommer from A Spicy Perspective, Maria from Two Peas and Their Pod and Brenda from A Farmgirls Dabbles.
The panelists, along with Ree, each introduced a food trend for 2013. And well, since Maria and I are long lost soul mates, she chose popcorn. She speaks to my soul.
I decided to jump on the popcorn bandwagon and spin it in a different direction. That’s how these bars came to life.
Meanwhile grab a bag of popcorn, or pop your own.
I opted for my new addiction, this Sweet and Salty Kettle Corn from a brand called Angie’s. I am literally obsessed with this stuff. Ob. Sessed.
Next up, melt some butter, peanut butter and corn syrup together and coat a few cups of popcorn. Set that aside.
When the cookie is done, take it out and sprinkle it with mini marshmallows. Pop that back in the oven for just a few minutes until the marshmallows puff up.
Then immediately spread the coated popcorn evenly all over the warm marshmallows, pressing them lightly to stick.
I drizzled some melted chocolate all over that and let it cool completely. It actually took a few hours to cool down until I could cut it.
- ¾ cup butter, room temperature
- 1¼ cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 4 cups popped popcorn, or kettle corn
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅔ cup corn syrup
- 1¼ cups peanut butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips for drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray
- Cream butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes
- Turn mixer to low and add in eggs and vanilla. Turn mixer back up to medium until evenly incorporated.
- Turn mixer back down to low and add in baking soda, salt and flour. Mix until just combined.
- Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Press dough evenly into prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes or until edges are golden.
- While cookie is baking, mix corn syrup, butter and peanut butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir until smooth and mixture is heated through. Remove from heat and stir in popcorn, coating it completely and evenly. Set aside.
- When cookie is done baking, remove from oven and immediately sprinkle marshmallows evenly on top. Place back in oven for 2-3 minutes until marshmallows are puffed, but not browned.
- Remove from oven and immediately spread the popcorn mixture on top of the marshmallows, pressing gently so the popcorn sticks into the marshmallows.
- In a microwave safe bowl, or zip-top bag, melt your remaining chocolate chips and drizzle over top.
- Let cool completely before cutting into squares.