Now that I am all exercisey and work-outy I have discovered that there is kind of a gym hierarchy.
Apparently spending too much time on a single machine makes people angry.
Apparently setting up your “station” in an exercise class too close to someone else elicits dirty looks like you wouldn’t believe.
Apparently working out with the free weights gives all meat-heads in the vicinity a free pass to ogle you.
And apparently if you see someone using a piece of exercise equipment in the wrong way you shouldn’t correct them, you are just supposed to laugh and point…
You know how I know that? Yeah, that was me, trying to use abdominal machine as a quad exercise. Not embarrassing at all.
Yeah, some gym people aren’t so nice.
Let me share a recent encounter with you.
My friend talked me into taking a Pilates class. Pilates isn’t my thing, as I am a major weakling. BUT I begrudgingly agreed.
Half way through the class we had to do this ridiculous move that required my legs to be in the air while also trying to lift my shoulders and back off the ground all while squeezing a ball in between my calves…so yeah, it wasn’t pretty.
I started laughing, like snort-laughing because I couldn’t seem to hoist myself into the correct Pilates positioning. Well, APPARENTLY laughing in Pilates is frowned upon because the woman on the mat next to me sat up and said to me…and I quote…”I bet if I dangled a Milky Way in front of you, you would be able to get off the ground”.
Let that marinate for a beat.
She actually said those words to me. I cannot make this stuff up.
I was stunned into silence, only later wishing that I told her that I am more of a Snickers girl.
My friend heard the whole encounter.
So, yeah…no laughing in Pilates, it’s all very serious. Lesson learned.
Since Pilates doesn’t want to be my friend I will drown my sorrows in popcorn, which is a very inclusive snack. Popcorn will not make fun of you. Popcorn will not ask you to do crazy-bendy-stretches. Popcorn will not make my elbows shake in weak peril.
And you can dress up popcorn however you like and it doesn’t ever seem to mind. So take that mean-Pilates-lady.
See? I clothed my popcorn in hot chocolatey goodness and it didn’t insult me.
Pop some corn and sprinkle some marshmallows on top.
Then melt some white candy melting disks or almond bark…
Spread the mixture on a wax paper lined counter and sprinkle some hot chocolate mix all over, BEFORE the candy coating has set.
The hot chocolate powder will stick to the candy coating.
Recipe: Hot Chocolate Popcorn
- 1/2 cup un-popped popcorn (about 16 cups popped)
- 14 oz white candy melting disks or vanilla almond bark
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup Hot Chocolate (powder) mix
- 4 oz milk chocolate
- wax paper
- Make your popcorn using an air popper. (If you don’t have an air-popper and use microwave popcorn, use plain or lightly buttered/salted.)
- In a large bowl combine your popcorn and marshmallows.
- Melt you white candy melts according to package directions and drizzle on top of popcorn/marshmallow mix. Stir to coat evenly.
- Spread your popcorn on a wax paper lined counter. Immediately sprinkle your hot chocolate mix on top of wet popcorn.
- Melt your milk chocolate in the double boiler or microwave and drizzle on top of popcorn.
- Let chocolate set.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
makes approx 18 cups of popcorn