These M&M Cupcakes are so crazy good! M&M Frosting on top of a Milk Chocolate Cupcake!
So these cupcakes.
I hate to say it, but they were totally my kid’s idea. Again.
Earlier in the week I shared his Red Velvet Cake Krispie Treats.
He’s nailed. it.
I honestly need to put him on the pay roll, because these are my new favorite cupcake.
It’s the frosting you guys.
We were driving one day last week and he said, “What if you crushed up M&Ms and added them into frosting. Like a Blizzard.”
Seriously my heart stopped from love. So basically I raced home because I knew the idea was too good to be true.
It wasn’t. It was truth. A plain, bold, delicious, candy truth.
Is there anything better?
M&M Cupcakes: M&M Frosting on top of a Milk Chocolate Cupcake.
Ok. More truth.
These cupcakes took me 3 tries to perfect.
I knew I wanted a good milk chocolate cupcake…and I knew I wanted melted milk chocolate in the batter.
The first batch. HORRIBLE. Basically inedible.
The second batch…slightly closer, but still meh.
Then, going against my husband’s best interest I made the third batch.
I was not in an ideal mood.
But finally I got it. Third tries rule.
Seriously, these are perfect Milk Chocolate Cupcakes.
The thing is…since I was feeling homicidal after the first 2 failures I didn’t take any pictures of the third batch. I was scared for my camera’s life, quite frankly.
So anyhow…you’re just gonna have to follow the recipe. Sorry ’bout that.
Let’s move onto the frosting..because it’s really the ball-hog here.
First just cream some butter and add in powdered sugar. Slowly.
This is where my kiddo helped…
Y’all are gonna die. The frosting tastes like a giant M&M cloud.
Ok, that sounded stupid…but it kinda does.
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup M&M Candies, blended to a coarse dust
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together in stand mixer, beating until light, 1-2 minutes. Add in egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- In microwave or over a double boiler melt the milk chocolate.
- Stir the chocolate into the butter mixture.
- Add the flour mixture and sour cream in alternating increments, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Stir until combined.
- Slowly add in hot water and stir until smooth.
- Fill cupcake liners ⅔ full and bake 15-17 minutes until tops are set and spring back to the touch.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In blender or food processor crush M&M candies until they are a coarse dust.
- In bowl of stand mixer beat butter until smooth. Slowly add in powdered sugar and then beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Mix in crushed M&Ms and beat until evenly incorporated.
- Pipe or spread onto cupcakes.