These Red Velvet Cake Krispie Treats are a simple spin on the Basic Rice Krispie Treat! And we amped them up with a yummy frosting filling!
First and foremost I have to let you know these were my kiddo’s idea. He has recently taken up an interest in giving me flavor combinations that sound…well…interesting.
For example, this week I let each of the kids invent their own ice cream flavors that we made in the ice cream maker. His recipe was peanut butter cup, cookie dough, Golden Oreo with a Strawberry Syrup swirl.
Otherwise known as Vomit Flavor.
But sometimes he has good ideas. Like these Red Velvet Cake Krispie Treats. Which he told me HAD to include frosting. Because, hello…CAKE.
I might be raising a genius.Honestly these couldn’t be easier.
And the easy way to stuff krispie treats is to line a large jelly roll pan with foil. Spray lightly with cooking spray and set aside.
Next up you’ll need some Red Velvet Cake mix. We used 1/3 cup.
Go ahead and get your marshmallows ready.
We used large marshmallows on this day because it was all we had in the house. I usually prefer to use mini marshmallows because they melt faster.
Whatever, survival of the fittest.
Of course the little dude had to be involved…
When the butter and marshmallows are melted, remove it from the heat and stir in your cake mix…
Then your krispie cereal…
Then dump that all out onto your prepared baking sheet…
Busted again….hence the crazy eyes.
Press that evenly into the pan.
Let it cool and make your simple frosting and cut the krispie treats in half…
And spread your frosting onto one half…
Then place the other half on top, like a big old krispie sandwich.
Then cut them into squares!
Red Velvet Cake Krispie Treats
makes 24 rice krispie treats
- 1/4 cup butter
- 10 oz large marshmallows (or a 10.5 oz bag of mini marshmallows)
- 1/3 cup dry Red Velvet Cake mix
- 6 cup rice krispie cereal
- 1/2 cup butter or cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Line a 10″x15″ jelly roll pan with foil and grease lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat
- Add marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and add in dry cake mix, stirring until mixed completely with marshmallow.
- Stir in rice krispie cereal and coat evenly with mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and press evenly. Let cool.
- Make filling by beating butter and powdered sugar together.
- Cut the krispie treat sheet in half, so you have two equal portions, and spread the filling on one of the portions.
- Place the other half on top and cut into squares.
store airtight for up to 2 days.
52 comments on “Red Velvet Cake Krispie Treats”
…what do you do with the rest of the cake mix???
I saved it and baked a cake with it 🙂
These are so good! I had my husband make these for me last night and OMG! We opted for the cream cheese and powder sugar in the middle…..so happy we did! It’s a keeper recipe! Thanks:)
Next time you should try using cocoa krispies. This will give it more of the red velvet cake flavor. I recently made red velvet cocoa rice krispie treats with melting wafers in marshmallow flavor drizzled over the top. They were a big hit!!
I needed to use up the extra Vanilla Cream Cheese I have. Thanks for the great idea and thanks to your kiddo!
toss some chocolate chips in the mix…
OHH MYYY GODDDDD!!!!
I made a Duncan Hines Red Velvet cake mix once and it tasted so terrible we had to throw it out. Maybe it was just a bad batch. It just tasted like food coloring, bleh! I was so disappointed because Duncan Hines is always my go to cake mix brand..