These M&M Cupcakes are so crazy good! ANDDD there’s M&M Frosting on top of a the moist Milk Chocolate Cupcake!
So these cupcakes. I hate to say it, but they were totally my kid’s idea. Again.
Earlier in the week I shared his Red Velvet Cake Krispie Treats.
And today. Well. He’s nailed. it.
I honestly need to put him on the pay roll, because these are my new favorite cupcake. It’s the frosting you guys.
We were driving one day last week and he said, “What if you crushed up M&Ms and added them into frosting. Like a Blizzard.” Seriously my heart stopped from love. So basically I raced home because I knew the idea was too good to be true.
It wasn’t. It was truth. A plain, bold, delicious, candy truth. Is there anything better?
SO easy and so delicious!
Ok. More truth. These cupcakes took me 3 tries to perfect.
I knew I wanted a good milk chocolate cupcake…and I knew I wanted melted milk chocolate in the batter.
The first batch. HORRIBLE. Basically inedible. The second batch…slightly closer, but still meh. But finally I got it. Third tries rule. Seriously, these are perfect Milk Chocolate Cupcakes.
But let’s focus on the frosting…because it’s really the ball-hog here.
First just cream some butter and add in powdered sugar. Slowly. Not like I did here.
When that’s light and fluffy…
Go ahead and blend up those M&Ms.
This is where my kiddo helped…
Right in the blender they go…
Boom. Pow. Smash.
Then beat that right in the frosting…
And pipe it all up on your cupcake…
Y’all are gonna die. The frosting tastes like a giant M&M cloud.
Ok, that sounded stupid…but it kinda does.
Makes 15 cupcakes
Milk Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup M&M Candies, blended to a coarse dust
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together in stand mixer, beating until light, 1-2 minutes. Add in egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- In microwave or over a double boiler melt the milk chocolate.
- Stir the chocolate into the butter mixture.
- Add the flour mixture and sour cream in alternating increments, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Stir until combined.
- Slowly add in hot water and stir until smooth.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake 15-17 minutes until tops are set and spring back to the touch.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In blender or food processor crush M&M candies until they are a coarse dust.
- In bowl of stand mixer beat butter until smooth. Slowly add in powdered sugar and then beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Mix in crushed M&Ms and beat until evenly incorporated.
- Pipe or spread onto cupcakes.
if you prefer a softer frosting, add milk, 1 teaspoon at at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
Want To Save This Recipe?
53 comments on “M&M Cupcakes”
How many mini cupcakes do you think this would make? Any idea how long I would bake them as minis?
probably double, the amount. I would bake for 10 minutes and check them!
hi, can you please tell the substitute for egg? thanks a ton! 😀
1/3 cup applesauce can replace 1 egg in a recipe
for anyone’s future reference…if you want to make a cake: double the recipe. I didn’t because everywhere I looked I only found this batter recipe for cupcakes. So I experimented. My 2 year old is going to have a fab 4 layer cake…it’s just gonna take all day to make it…back to making cake/cupcake batter.
Is there a problem with making the cupcakes into a cake??? Need to make a M&M bday cake…this looks great…just need a cake.
I made these tonight. That frosting is just insane. My M&M loving girls were in heaven. Thank you for the recipe!
I’ve featured these insanely yummy cupcakes on my blog. I hope that you don’t mind, but if you do, please contact me and I’ll remove it. All the best.