These Lightened Up No Bake Lemon Icebox Bars are so so easy.. They are super creamy and sweet and made with 1/3 less fat cream cheese and fat free sweetened condensed milk. You won’t miss the extra fat, I swear it!
Ok, sorry about these in advance.
Here’s the thing…I am usually VERY against “light” desserts. Sorry, that’s just me.
But I am going against the grain today and share my favorite icebox lemon bars…but slightly easier on the hips.
You see, I make these all the time, but I usually do it with regular cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk, but a few weeks ago I decided to try it out using the lower fat cream cheese and fat free SCM…and seriously you couldn’t tell the difference.
Now, I am not saying these are health food in anyway…what I AM saying is that since I shaved off a little extra fat from these guys you can eat twice as many.
Wait, that’s not right.
Or IS it?
And please, by all means, go ahead and use regular cream cheese or regular sweetened condensed milk if you prefer. You can be the boss of your own lemon bars. I’m giving you that option.
I mean, you could even use low fat graham crackers too. Gasp.
But I didn’t.
There’s only so much “light” I can do in one day.
Mix that with a bit of butter and sugar and press into the bottom of a foiled pan…
Chill the crust while you’re making the filling for the bars.
Has there ever been a better invention than sweetened condensed milk?
I’m not so sure..I mean, except the internet. And brown sugar.
But besides that…SCM is king.
Aren’t lemons pretty?
But plain gelatin, not so much.
Whisk the unflavored gelatin with some water and allow it to sit for a few minutes. This will help keep the bars firm.
Once you’ve mixed all the filling ingredients together pour it into your chilled crust, and allow it to set up for a million years.
Because that’s what it feels like.
But then when they’re ready they will be perfect!
No bake is the best!
Also, wanted to let you guys know I create an FAQ page… it answers some of your most burning questions! I’d love for you to check it out!
- 8 (full sheets) graham crackers, crushed
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 (8 oz) pkg ⅓ less fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (14 oz) can fat free sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup pasteurized egg product (Egg Beaters)
- zest of one large lemon
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp powdered unflavored gelatin
- 3 Tbsp boiling water
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In large bowl, melted butter in the microwave and mix with the graham crackers, brown sugar and salt. Press mixture into prepared pan. Use the back of a flat glass to press down firmly. Chill until ready to use.
- Beat cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk and Egg Beaters in bowl of stand mixer. Add in zest and lemon juice and mix until combined.
- Combine gelatin powder and boiling water in a small bowl, stirring until dissolved. Allow to cool for 2 minutes and then mix into the cream cheese mixture until evenly incorporated.
- Pour mixture over chilled crust and chill pan for 6 hours or overnight.
- Cut into squares and serve cold
recipe lightly adapted from The Cooking Channel
I LOVE lemon desserts!
Here is a classic Cookies and Cups recipe…my Lemonade Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
And these White Chocolate Lemon Blondies are a huge favorite of mine!