These Strawberry Shortbread Bars are the easy version of a thumbprint cookie! They’re buttery, filled with sweet jam and a little sugar glaze drizzle!
Some people love a fruit dessert, others not so much. I generally fall into the latter category, but I will take exception with these bars. I mean, let’s be honest…they are mostly a buttery shortbread with a quick spread of strawberry jam on the inside…so we’re not talking health food. But that tartness from the strawberries is the perfect compliment to the cookie base.
This time of year thumbprint cookies are everywhere…and while I enjoy them, this recipe is a HUGE time saver. Bake everything in one pan and bing-bang-boom you’re done. I’m sorry for saying bing-bang-boom.
I am always about a bar cookie and this one is no different. Plus, I don’t use a mixer when I make these, so less mess to clean up!
Just whisk together the dry ingredients…
And then add in your butter, egg and vanilla…
I know that picture looks all civilized with the pastry cutter, but full disclosure I usually just get right in there with my hands.
Press half of the dough into a pan and top with strawberry jam. And in advance yes, you can use other flavors of jam and no, you can’t use fresh fruit.
Oh so pretty…
Now top it with the extra dough…
Bake it up until it’s lightly golden and the jam is bubbly. Go ahead and let them cool completely and drizzle with a simple sugar glaze if you want!
The recipe for the glaze uses heavy cream. Yes, you can use milk instead but start with just one tablespoon of milk as it is thinner than cream!
These are a stunner, but so simple. Enjoy!
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup strawberry jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9 pan with aluminum foil and coat with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Add in the egg and butter and combine with a party cutter, or your hands until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough in half and press one half into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spread the strawberry jam on top. Crumble the remaining dough onto the top of the jam.
- Bake for 40 minutes until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Whisk powdered sugar and cream together and drizzle on top.