Apple Crumb Cinnamon Rolls are soft, delicious cinnamon rolls filled with diced apples and topped with crumb topping. It’s the perfect mash-up of two classic breakfast sweets, crumb cake and cinnamon rolls!
This post is sponsored on behalf of Fleischmann’s® Yeast to create this recipe. I only partner with brands that I use in my kitchen. All opinions expressed are 100% my own.
Today’s recipe has me pretty excited. Sometimes I have good ideas, y’all.
It’s officially apple season, which means flannel, cozy blankets, cinnamon scented everything…which makes me supremely excited. Everything about fall feels nostalgic. And what’s so great about apple season, is all the fall baking! It’s 100% my favorite time of year.
What I find myself doing more in the fall, than any other time of the year is baking breads from scratch. For the next 4 months I have to fully stock up on yeast, because I seem to fly through it. The last few years I have really gotten comfortable with yeast baking. I don’t know what took me so long. It intimidated me for reasons I don’t fully understand. But once I actually gave it a try, I honestly don’t know what I was waiting for. When you bake it yourself, I know it sounds silly, but the sense of accomplishment is pretty fantastic, and it’s easier than you think. Like, I made bread, look at me!
I have told this story on my site so many times, but my youngest son Max’s favorite treat is cinnamon rolls, so we have a tradition of making them together. So when I found the recipe for Fleischmann’s® Sticky Apple Cinnamon Rolls we knew we needed to try them. BUT when Max threw out the idea of topping a cinnamon roll with crumb topping, I KNEW we had a hit on our hands folks!
We like to use Fleischmann’s® RapidRise® Yeast most often in our kitchen because it really speeds up the process…and when you have hungry boys in the house this is important.
Baking with Yeast is Easy!
And while there are a few steps to this recipe, they are all easy, and can even all be done in advance. Even the dough can be made ahead and placed in the refrigerator to rise slowly overnight.
The dough only needs to rest 10 minutes before you assemble your rolls which is fun! These rolls are filled with a buttery, cinnamon sugar mixture and topped with tart Granny Smith apples!
You roll up the dough and cut them into 1 ½- inch thick slices.
Place the slices into a baking dish and then you’re going to cover them and let them rise. In about 30 minutes they will double in size which is what’s so great about working with the Rapid Rise yeast!
Then you top off rolls with your crumb mixture, which is just too dreamy!
They bake up like perfection and your house will smell delicious.
And of course you can’t forget icing. I mean…
I don’t know how the combination of crumb topping and cinnamon rolls isn’t a bigger thing in the world. Here’s hoping that is now!
I hope you enjoy these Apple Crumb Cinnamon Rolls!Print
Easy Cinnamon Rolls that are filled with apples and topped with crumb topping!
6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes Fleischmann’s® RapidRise® Yeast
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup butter, melted
3 cups finely chopped and peeled Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Combine 3 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt into the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, heat the milk and butter for 2 to 3 minutes until it’s very warm (120° to 130°F).
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the eggs and 2 more cups of flour and mix for 2 more minutes at medium speed. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough, you might not need it all. Replace the paddle attachment with the dough hook and mix on medium speed for 5 to 8 minutes until smooth. Alternately you can knead the dough on a lightly floured surface using your hands for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll each half of the rested dough into a 12×10 rectangle on a lightly floured work surface.
- While the dough is resting prepare your filling. In a large bowl combine sugars, flour, and cinnamon and stir. Add in the melted butter and mix until combined.
- Divide the mixture in half and spread evenly onto each rolled out dough.
- Sprinkle the diced apples evenly on top of each. Roll up the dough tightly from the long side and then slice the dough into 1 1/2- inch portions.
- Coat 2, 9×13-inch baking dishes with nonstick spray and place the rolls into the pans. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and butter.
- Using your hands combine the mixture until crumbs form when squeezed together.
- Sprinkle all the rolls evenly with the crumb topping.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the rolls for 30 minutes until lightly golden. Allow to cool slightly before icing.
- In medium bowl mix together the powdered sugar, butter and vanilla. Whisk in the cream until smooth.
- Drizzle the icing on the slightly cooled rolls.
- Serve warm or at room temperature
Store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
To reheat, microwave individual rolls for 15-20 seconds
Keywords: cinnamon rolls, recipe, yeast, apples, baking