Chocolate Chip Cookie Dunkers are a fun twist on chocolate chip cookies! The edges are crispy and buttery and they’re still a little soft on the inside. Perfect for dunking into milk!
My kids LOVE the cookie dunkers from Trader Joe’s. I mean it’s not reinventing the wheel here…it’s a chocolate chip cookie in a different shape. But, for some reason my kids go nuts for them! So of course the obvious thing for me to do was make them at home.
I had to make these a few times to figure out the way I like them best. I made “Cookie Sticks” a few years ago and they were really good…BUT I used vegetable oil in the dough to help with spreading. It’s more stable than butter, so the dough didn’t spread as much, which was great. BUT in this case I wanted a true chocolate chip cookie experience…and in my mind the only way to do that is with butter. God Bless.
We made these a few times to get them right…and while there is a little spreading involved, since you’re cutting them into sticks, it really doesn’t matter. You and your pizza cutter control the finished product.
Let’s get to dunking!
The cookie dough is crazy easy, made in one bowl with no mixer necessary!
Just divide your dough into two equal portions and shape them into a rectangle approximately 3″x15″.
Now…use the LARGEST cookies sheet you have. I used a 14″x17″ pan that I always use, which works for this recipe. The point I’m making is that the dough spreads…and even on my 14″x17″ the dough ends up touching after they’ve baked. I have no problem with this because we are cutting them into dunkers. But if you don’t have at least this sized pan you will need to bake in 2 batches.
Like I said above, in my other recipe I don’t use butter, I use vegetable oil, which doesn’t lead to as much spreading, but I am not willing to sacrifice the flavor that butter gives these!
And again, you’re going to cut them into slices, so it really doesn’t make a lot of difference how they come out of the oven!
You can cut you dunkers into whatever size you prefer. Obviously the longer it is, the more fragile it will be. Cut them after they’ve cooled on the pan for about 5 minutes and then leave them alone until they are COMPLETELY cooled!
I usually end up cutting the longest sticks in half again.
And really then it’s just time to let them meet your glass of milk…
If it’s your milk you can totally double dunk!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line you largest baking sheet with parchment paper, minimum 14×17. Set aside. (If you don’t have a baking sheet this large bake in 2 batches)
- In a large microwave safe bowl melt the butter. Add both sugar and stir to combine. Let this cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla, egg, baking soda, and salt until smooth. Stir in the flour until combined and finally the chocolate chips.
- Divide the dough in half and shape on the baking sheet into two, 3×15- inch rectangles. The dough will spread while baking so leave as much space as you can between the two rectangles.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the insides are set.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then using a pizza cutter or knife, slice into sticks and then leave them on the baking sheet until they are completely cooled. The longer they sit the stiffer the cookie stick will be.