Using soda in cake is a whole thing, and it works some serious magic in this incredible Mountain Dew Cake! This easy-to-make spin on lemon bundt cake is moist and fluffy, made with lemon cake mix and citrus-flavored soda.
Table of Contents
Easy Mountain Dew Bundt Cake Recipe
This cake is super fun! I’m sharing the easiest lemon bundt cake recipe ever. The secret? Box cake mix, and Mountain Dew. Yes, the lemon/lime soft drink Mtn. Dew that is usually reserved for teen gamers lol. But mix it into a cake and suddenly it’s transformed into the moistest, most delicious bundt cake ever!
I can’t get enough of this mouthwatering Mountain Dew cake. It’s moist and tender, with the fluffiest crumb and the bright, sunshiney citrus flavors of Mountain Dew soda. Drizzled with a sugary glaze (also flavored with our favorite citrus-flavored soda), this almost-homemade cake is next-level delicious in so many ways.
Why You’ll Love This Soda Cake
Who doesn’t love a bundt cake? This Mtn. Dew cake was made for summer potlucks and BBQs, or any festive occasion for that matter. Here’s why you’ll be crazy about it, too:
- Jazz up a boxed cake mix. This cake recipe starts with a boxed cake mix for extra convenience. You only need 4 ingredients in total!
- Bursting with citrus flavor. Mountain Dew amplifies the flavor of the lemon cake mix. Topped with a sugary soda-infused glaze, it’s a cake made for citrus lovers.
- Ready in minutes. If you have 5 minutes of free time, you can make this Mountain Dew cake! Have your cake ready for the oven in no time.
What Flavor Is Mountain Dew?
Mountain Dew, or Mtn Dew, is a popular brand of citrus-flavored soda in the US. It tastes a little lemony, a little lime-like, with a splash of orange juice. It’s easy to recognize by its unmistakable fluo-green color. You’ll find it with the other soft drinks in most grocers and convenience stores. If you can’t find Mountain Dew, look for a generic brand version. Or, for a similar recipe, try my 7UP Cake.
What Does Soda Do In Cake?
Wonderful things! Where baking soda would usually create carbonated bubbles in a cake recipe to help it rise, the carbonation in soda acts as a leavening agent, with the bonus of adding flavor. It helps this Mountain Dew cake bake up light and fluffy.
What You’ll Need
Wondering what goes into this lemony soda cake? Below, I’ve included some notes about the short list of ingredients. Remember to scroll to the recipe card further on for the full recipe details.
- Lemon Cake Mix: Choose your favorite brand of boxed lemon cake mix, or yellow cake mix.
- Mountain Dew: You’ll use Mountain Dew where you’d normally combine water with the cake mix. You’ll need one can for the cake, plus a second can when making the sugary glaze.
- Eggs and Oil: Eggs give the cake extra richness, while vegetable oil helps the crumb bake up delightfully light and tender.
- Glaze: You’ll whisk together powdered sugar with additional Mountain Dew for a super-quick and easy citrus glaze.
How to Make a Mountain Dew Cake
A boxed cake mix definitely speeds up the process! Here’s how to make this easy twist on a lemon bundt cake:
- First, combine the ingredients. Mix up the cake mix with one can of Mountain Dew, along with your eggs and oil. Easy-peasy! Then, pour the cake batter into a well-greased bundt pan.
- Bake. Bake the cake at 350ºF for about 45 minutes, then let it cool down in the pan for 10 minutes or so. Afterward, invert the bundt cake onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely before you glaze it.
- Prepare the glaze. Now, you’ll crack open a fresh can of Mountain Dew and whisk some together with powdered sugar for the lemon glaze. Make sure there aren’t any lumps.
- Glaze the cake. Place your Mountain Dew cake with the wire rack over a piece of parchment paper (to catch any dripping glaze). Finally, slowly pour the lemon icing over the cake, letting it drizzle down the sides. Give the glaze some time to set, then serve!
Tips for Success
I promise it’s next to impossible to mess up this zesty Mountain Dew cake. Here are some quick tips for the best results:
- Grease the bundt pan. Even if you’re using a non-stick bundt pan, make sure to grease it with cooking spray anyway. This is extra insurance that the cake won’t stick.
- Don’t let the cake cool completely in the pan. Remember to invert your bundt cake after 10-15 minutes, otherwise, it’ll likely become stuck in the pan.
- Check your bundt cake for doneness. Stick a toothpick into the baked cake, and if it comes out clean, your cake is done.
In case you wanted to change up your Mountain Dew cake, try these easy ideas:
- Different Cake Mix: Substitute the lemon cake mix with vanilla or yellow cake mix instead.
- Another Soda: Technically, it won’t be a Mountain Dew cake, but you can absolutely adapt this cake mix recipe with another type of soda. Stick with lighter sodas in this light-colored cake.
- Another Glaze: If you’d like to make your glaze without Mountain Dew, feel free to flavor it with vanilla extract or lemon extract instead.
- Different Pans: Use a cupcake pan or 9×13-inch baking pan in place of a bundt pan. Note that the baking times will vary, so make sure to check your cakes for doneness (see my tip above).
How to Store Mountain Dew Cake
Store your glazed bundt cake airtight at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.
Can I Freeze This Bundt Cake?
Yes, you can freeze this Mountain Dew cake for up to 3 months. Freeze the cake airtight either whole or in slices, in a container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap (plus a layer of foil). Thaw the cake at room temperature before serving.
More Cake Mix Recipes
- Cake Mix Cookies
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
- Easy Lemonade Cake
- Fudgy Cake Mix Brownies
- Ridiculous Vanilla Cake
- Cake Mix Pumpkin Cookies
Mountain Dew Cake is an easy bundt cake recipe made extra light and fluffy with citrus-flavored soda. It’s the best way to jazz up a box of lemon cake mix!
- 1 (18.25 oz) box Lemon Cake
- 1 (12 oz) can Mountain Dew
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp Mountain Dew
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray bundt pan with cooking spray.
- With your mixer combine the cake mix, the Mountain Dew, the eggs and the vegetable oil. Mix on low for 30 seconds and then turn speed up to medium and continue mixing for 2 minutes.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan and bake 45 minutes, until cake is set and toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
- When cake is cooled prepare glaze.
- Mix 3 cups powdered sugar and 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp Mountain Dew together in a medium bowl.
- Stir until there are no more lumps.
- With cake on wire cooling rack, place a piece of wax paper underneath, so when you pour the glaze over the cake you catch the excess.
- Pour glaze on top of cake allowing to coat the sides of the cake.
- Serve when glaze has set.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Keywords: mountain dew cake, soda cake, lemon bundt cake
Want To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later: