Cake for breakfast is an important part of my day.
Many mornings it actually saves my sanity.
I mean, I know everyone is drinking those green juice things, and while I drink those too, on occasion, I really have found that cake in the morning is better for my health.
Especially chocolate cake with peanut butter cups.
And when you call a cake “coffee cake”, it’s perfectly acceptable to enjoy pre-10am.
The universe says so. I mean, I didn’t invent coffee cake. I just follow along with the masses.
And another thing…
The cake is super yummy, starting with a whopping 2 cups of sour cream in the batter…
There is no way that this could be bad.
Don’t forget about your peanut butter cups. Like that’s possible.
Also, eating with a mini fork is bound to enhance your coffee cake experience.
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 (18.25 oz) package Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 1 (3.9 oz) package Instant Chocolate Pudding (4 servings)
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups coarsely chopped peanut butter cups
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray or grease a 9×13 pan
- In stand mixer beat sour cream and butter together, add cake mix, dry pudding mix and eggs. Beat at medium speed for about 2 minutes. Turn mixer to low and add in semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Spread batter in prepared pan and bake approx 30 minutes until center is set and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Sprinkle chopped peanut butter cups evenly on top of cake.
- Melt white chips in microwave or over a double boiler and drizzle on top of cake and peanut butter cups.
- Let cake cool and cut into squares when ready to serve.
I melted my white chocolate chips in a ziplock bag in the microwave and snipped off the end and squeezed the white chocolate on my cake. Makes for easy clean up!
This cake is even better the next day.