Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies are a chewy, colorful and totally festive chocolate chip cookie recipe!
These Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies are completely unnecessary and totally unnecessary at the exact same time. I mean they’re a thick, chewy, chocolate chip cookie THAT ARE RAINBOW COLORED!
How have I never thought of rainbow cookies before?!?
Of course, they taste exactly as they should…like a perfect chocolate chip cookie…but as my 11 year old told me, they are so much more fun to eat. And I couldn’t agree more.
How to make Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies
The cookie dough is very basic. The only difference is there is slightly more flour in these. The reason that I did this, is to add a thickness to the dough, without chilling it. You just need to be careful not to over-bake these cookies. You might even think you’re under-baking them slightly. It’s totally fine, I promise. The secret to getting these rainbow cookies thick, but still stay soft, is to take them out of the oven a minute or so before they are totally baked!
See…the dough looks so innocent…
You just divide the cookie dough it into 4 portions. Certainly you could do more colors, but I find 4 to look the prettiest. AND yes, of course, you can use whatever colors you like! I created a Patriotic Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe also!
I dyed my dough with food coloring gel. I prefer Americolor Gel especially for the red. It colors the dough very vibrant-true colors without having the use too much.
You just color each portion, as desired, and then roll each into a long rope. Place each rope onto a piece of cling wrap and roll it up into one giant log…
Unwrap it and voila!
Then just grab portions of the dough with your hands (about 2 tablespoons), roll it into a loose ball and place it onto the baking sheet. You can add a few extra chocolate chips if you want them to look extra pretty.
They bake up evenly and gorgeous!
These are just about the cutest chocolate chip cookies ever to exist!
And they taste fantastic…which is really the whole point.
If you love these Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies, check out my red, white, and blue cookies as well!Print
Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 9 mins
- Total Time: 24 mins
- Yield: 36 cookies 1x
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies are thick and soft rainbow cookies, that just happen to be some of the best chocolate chip cookies ever!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 4 different colors food coloring.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and both sugars together for 2 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, vanilla, salt, and baking soda and continue mixing for 1 minute until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour, mixing until just incorporated.
- Stir in the chocolate chips evenly.
- Divide the cookie dough into 4 equal portions. Using the food coloring, color the doughs as desired.
- Roll each colored dough into approximately a 15-inch rope.Place each colored rope next to each other on a large piece of cling wrap. Wrap the cling wrap up tightly, pressing the doughs together forming a large log. Remove the cling wrap and breaking off the dough with your hands into approximately 2-tablespoon portions. Roll the dough into a loose ball and place it onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 9 minutes or until the edges are set. Don’t over bake these!!
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 3-4 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Careful to not over bake these. There is a slightly larger amount of flour in these to ensure thickness, but if you bake them too long, they will get very firm. The cookies might even seem under-baked when you remove them from the oven. This is fine.
Place a few extra chocolate chips on top of the dough, if desired, just to look pretty.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 179
- Sugar: 14.7 g
- Sodium: 105 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.5 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 23.9 mg
Keywords: cookie recipe, rainbow cookies, chocolate chip cookies, recipe
43 comments on “Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies”
They came out great! I think they needed 15 mins, but maybe I just made them a little big. And i only added 3 cups of choc chip (to the double portion recipe) instead of 4. Would have been too much with 4. Kids had lots of fun making them!
why does my cookies turned out flat after baking?
aggh! I think we just killed ours with too much colouring. My hands are stained and the colouring has mixed. Epic fail here but we had fun in the process. Hoping my greeny blue hands return to their normal skin colour soon. Any tips on managing the colouring would be hugely appreciated as we’d love to try again. Thanks so much
These look great! Can the dough be rolled and frozen?
Made these with my three year old son yesterday and they were so good. He loved helping with the colours and we found the amount of chocolate chips perfect! Wonderful soft and chewy cookies with fun colours!Ch
omg girl i made this with my mom and let me tell u it was a great use of our time and we got a delicious snack i honestly love your sight especially during this pandemic …..thank you so much Shelly
My son asked for rainbow cookies and I stumbled upon your recipe. They turned out great and my son thought they were so cool.
So glad you enjoyed them!