This morning I told my 6 year old that he was going to get a haircut after school.
I have been saying this for the past week and a half.
But weirdly, as of late, he has been balking at the idea of getting a trim.
I didn’t understand why until now.
When I told him sternly that today was the day, he got upset. Like, for real upset.
Of course I asked him why he was getting misty over a a few hairs being cut…to which he replied “I want to grow an afro. Please don’t make me cut my hair.”
That really happened.
So I told him that he couldn’t grow an afro because his hair is too straight, it would grow down, not out.
He wasn’t convinced.
I then told him that I would have to give him a perm and he would have to wear curlers in his hair.
He wasn’t thrilled with this, but sensed it was a means to an end…
And still persisted.
So yeah. None of that has anything to do with food, it’s just an example of a day in my life.
Ok, less afro-talk, more cookie-talk.
Salted Caramel Kiss Cookies. More specifically, Browned Butter-Salted Caramel Cookies.
So simple, so good…possibly my new favorite.
First make your butter brown.
After it cools a bit, pour your butter into some brown sugar and beat it. Just beat it.
Mix in the other usual suspects and you’ve got dough!
Roll your cookies into a delicious brown sugar/granulated sugar mix and bake!
While the cookies are in the oven unwrap your caramel candies. I used some Caramel Hershey Kisses…but you could use Dove or Rolo…
As soon as they come out of the oven press a yummy Caramel Kiss on top.
Then do it right and sprinkle a little sea salt on top. Flaked, if your nasty.
You need one of these in your life.
makes 24 cookies
- 14 Tbsp salted butter
- 1 3/4 cups light brown sugar
- 2 cups, plus 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 light brown sugar
- approx 24 chocolate caramel candies, such as Caramel Kisses or Rolos, unwrapped
- flaked sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350° and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat butter in medium skillet over medium heat until melted. When butter melts slowly swirl the pan and continue to cook the butter until it becomes a nice, brown-caramel color. The swirling helps it from burning. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl and set aside.
- When butter is cooled mix 1 3/4 cup light brown sugar and browned butter with electric mixer until no lumps remain, about 30 seconds.
- Add egg, yolk and vanilla and mix for another 30 seconds, until smooth.
- Slowly add in your flour mixture and mix on medium-low until incorporated.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- Roll cookie dough into 2 inch balls (a heaping tablespoon) and then roll in sugar mixture.
- Place on lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake approx 12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Do not over-bake.
- As soon as the cookies come out of the oven press a caramel chocolate candy into the center of each.
- Sprinkle each with a pinch of flaked sea salt and transfer to wire rack to continue cooling.
*optional ~ to prevent spreading of these cookies while baking you can chill dough for an hour prior to baking. I didn’t chill my dough and got the results photographed, but results seem to be varied based on feedback.
store cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Want To Save This Recipe?