So I didn’t get a lot of sleep last night…
Like I’m pretty tired.
You wanna know why? Because things seem impossibly ridiculous at 2:00 am. I mean, any issue you might be having in your life, thinking about it at 2:00 am will make it the hugest, largest, most insurmountable problem you have ever had. Ever.
So I laid awake from 2:00 am – 4:00 am thinking about the very important matter of my kid’s iPods. I had myself convinced in the wee hours that by allowing them to play their iPods frequently, I was turning their brain into liquid, damaging their vision, preventing them from ever getting into college, getting a girlfriend or getting married, which consequently lowered the possibility of me ever having grandchildren. All because they play their iPods.
I was basically a sweaty, panicked wreck.
How I got from point A to point B on that matter is far too long and nonsensical a story to tell you here and now, but I will tell you should disregard your brain-talk at 2:00 am. It exaggerates. And dramatizes…and hyperbolizes every scenario in your life.
BUT sometimes, on rare occasion, in between thoughts of Minecraft and failure to launch scenarios, accompanied by images of being an old angry woman with no grandchildren to speak of, you get a glimmer of a good idea.
Which leads me to today’s recipe.
Thanks 2:00 am brain.
Strawberry Shortcake Whoopie Pies.
You just start by making a simple vanilla batter…
Drop spoonfuls of the batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet and then flatten the batter out. It’s pretty thick, so you need to flatten it, otherwise they will be way too tall after they bake…
When they are done and cooled, spread some yummy filling on one side. I used a butter based filling. I tried using a whipped cream filling and it didn’t work. While delicious, it squished out the sides and was very un-whoopie pie-like.
Then top the filling with sliced strawberries.
Really stuff as many slices as you can mange in there!
Then eat the heck of it…Print
Strawberry Shortcake Whoopie Pies
Makes 12 whoopie pies
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 4 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 10 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 Tbsp heavy cream
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced thinly
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream together butter and sugar for approx 1 minute on medium speed with your mixer.
- Turn mixer to low and add in baking powder, salt and eggs. Turn mixer back up to medium and mix until smooth.
- Mix vanilla into your milk.
- With your mixer on low, alternate adding the flour and the milk/vanilla mixture, starting and ending with flour. Mix until just combined.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoon onto prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart, flatten the dough, so it’s not so rounded.
- Bake 10-11 minutes until edges are golden and tops are set.
- Transfer to wire rack to continue cooling.
- Cream butter in mixer with vanilla about 2 minutes. Slowly add in 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar and cream, beating for 2-3 minutes more. Add more powdered sugar if you desire a thicker consistency.
- Spread about 2 Tbsp of filling on the bottom of a cookie, top with 5-6 strawberry slices. Spread a teaspoon of filling on the bottom of the other cookie (to help stick) and press the cookie together forming a sandwich.
43 comments on “Strawberry Shortcake Whoopie Pies”
Omg! These are so yummy! The cookie is Devine
Wowzers….Could I possibly do these with a simple whipped cream filling (double Swiss cream for stiffness)…instead of the buttercream ..without damaging your recipe?…Sadly…the husband is not a “fan” of frosting…but loves whipped cream. I would love them in any form! Thank you for a perfect offering , now that the huge beautiful strawberries from Spain are everywhere in the outdoor markets here in France. I adore Strawberry Shortcake!
Sure you could, it would just have to be really stiff. I tried it out when I was testing the recipe with a whipped filling and it did squish out the sides when you bit it, but if it was stiff enough and maybe chilled it would work 🙂
Whoopie pies are on my A list and beautifully created.
Beautiful photos! And amazing blog!
Oh my…..STOP IT =) This looks and sounds amazing!!
These look so cute and girly and absolutely scrumptious! Great recipe!
at least something awesome also came out of 2am brain. wow!!!! these look yum. cant wait to try them!!
I bought 80 million yards of bakers twine off Pick Your Plum (hate to love that site!!!). I want to make these just so I can tie bakers twine around them. So cute. 😉
They look delicious too, I love strawberry shortcake and sure could use a taste of summer!
There is nothing I love more than Strawberry shortcake.
Oh glory be! Please do stay awake more often if that is what you are going to whip up! Lol! Looks delicious!!!