These soft Frosting Filled Chocolate Chip Cookies are such a fun cookie! A surprise of sprinkles and frosting are waiting on the inside…maybe the perfect cookie!
Just when you thought I couldn’t put frosting on anything else…
Wait, you did think that, right?
I didn’t exactly put frosting on TOP of anything else..because a chocolate chip cookie with frosting on top seems excessive.
And clearly I am not about excess. *cough
So I found a way around it all…
Eat your frosting on the DL.
No one needs to know. Frosting on the sly.
I mean, unless you want to show them how gloriously pretty the insides of these cookies are. Because they are.
Sprinkles make everything happy.
What I did was create a thick frosting filling. I based my recipe on this recipe. I tweaked it slightly, to make it a little stiffer. I didn’t want the filling to melt inside of the cookie, or ooze out.
I rolled the frosting into balls with about a teaspoon or so of the mixture and then popped them into the freezer for about an hour.
Meanwhile I made the cookie dough. I used a fairly basic recipe, but added a bit more flour so the cookie wouldn’t spread as much. Then I wrapped each frozen frosting ball with a few tablespoons of the cookie dough.
I rolled the dough into balls and placed them on a lined baking sheet to bake.
They came out looking glorious…
If you prefer a flatter cookie, you can freeze the frosting into flatter discs, instead of a ball and then don’t roll the cookie dough into a ball to bake..make it more of a disc.
I tried it that way and it worked well..I just preferred a big ol’ hunka hunka frosting…
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp warm water
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ⅛ cup sprinkles
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2¾ cup flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup sprinkles
- Mix shortening powdered sugar, water and vanilla together in bowl with mixer until smooth. Add in sprinkles and mix until combined.
- Roll frosting into balls using 1 teaspoon of mixture each. Place on a lined pan and freeze for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together for 2 minutes. Add in egg and vanilla and continue mixing until smooth, scraping sides as needed. Add in baking soda and salt and mix until combined.
- Add in flour and stir until just combined.
- Finally stir in chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- Scoop out about 2½ tablespoons of cookie dough for each cookie. Form dough around frozen ball of frosting making sure to cover frosting completely and roll into a ball. Place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes. Remove when edges begin to golden.
- Transfer to wire rack and cool.
If you love Chocolate Chip Cookies, check out my complete list of all my favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes!