This Perfect Apple Crisp recipe is no fail, simple, buttery and ALWAYS a favorite!
Ok, so I know it’s not fall…apples aren’t technically “in season”. And an Apple Crisp always evokes feelings of sweatpants and a cinnamon burning candle, but yet here we are in June, and I’m making fall-ish food. I just cain’t help it.
But don’t you think apples are seasonless? I mean kinda-sorta? They’re always plentiful at my supermarket and sometimes that’s good enough.
So let’s talk about an epically yummy Apple Crisp that you can certainly eat all year long.
I feel like the secret to my apple crisp recipe is orange zest. It’s a trick I stole from Ina. She’s pretty everything, isn’t she?
Anyhow, it adds a bit of brightness to the crisp, without being overly orange…if that makes sense.
All you do is place your sliced apples in a casserole dish, sprinkle the zest on top and then squeeze the juice from the orange on top of the apples.
Sprinkle it all with brown sugar and top with your simple crisp mixture.
When it’s baked it will look like this…
Oh glory be.
You can top it with ice cream if you’re smart…
And then with caramel sauce if you’re even smarter…
This is a no fail recipe. Make it. Love it.
- 5 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced approx ⅓" thick
- zest and juice of one large orange
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, cold and cubed
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1¼ cup quick oats
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Lightly butter a 9x13 pan, or lightly coat with nonstick spray.
- Place the sliced apples evenly in the pan. Sprinkle the orange zest on top of the apples and then squeeze the juice on evenly on top. Sprinkle the salt, sugar and cinnamon evenly over the apples. Set aside while you prepare your topping.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients for the crisp. Using a pastry cutter or your hands combine all the ingredients until the mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle this on top of the apple layer.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until the crisp is lightly browned and the apples are bubbly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature
Serve with ice cream and caramel sauce, if desired.