These Pumpkin Apple Muffins are Fall all the way! What’s even better is they have streusel topping and a cream cheese coating!
I have to tell you that my life has been hectic lately.
Of course the kids are back in school, which should free my days up to bake and blah blah…
But for some reason I haven’t had anytime for blah blah OR baking.
Life has decided to buffet-style gorge my days lately and I find my self wishing for lazy/non-lazy days of summer. Gasp!
I create my own misfortune, though…
I mean, starting a new recipe 20 minutes before the school bus arrives, only to find you have no eggs…well, don’t come to me when you need proper decision making assistance.
Anyhow, I got around to making half of the muffins, running out the door to after school activities.
By the time I got home the sun was down, leaving me with mediocre lighting to photograph the dang muffins that ruled my afternoon.
All for you invisible internet friends.
So please, forgive the photos this time around, but know these Pumpkin Apple Muffins were made with love and tears.
And also, I am fully aware that my life’s complaints involve muffins and soccer practice. I fully understand the absurdity.
Here the deal with these…I named them Pumpkin Apple Muffins, but what they really are is Pumpkin Apple Cream Cheese Streusel Muffins.
It’s a mouthful, so I just shortened it. Sorry to be so confusing.
BUT what I did do was make 3 variations of these..so if you don’t like, say, cream cheese..no worries..skip that step!
If you are an alien and you don’t like streusel, no worries, move on!
Would rather no apples? Easy.
Streusel, no cream cheese…also totally do-able.
Like a naked muffin? Knock yourself out.
So basically this is a “Choose Your Own Adventure Muffin”.
I’m a good time, man.
Let hit the details.
Whisk the dry…
Mix in the wet…
Fold in your apples…
Ahhh, batter!Plop that in your muffin tin…
Dollop on the cream cheese…only if you want, remember?
Make you streusel…
Again, only if you’re feeling streusely…
On the right is a cream cheese, no streusel. On the left you have a streusel no cream cheese…
But as for me…I’m a pumpkin, apple, cream cheese, streusel girl. Oh yeah, and of course a little glaze on top.
A minimalist, I am not.
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped apples, peeled
- 6 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 5 Tbsp cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- *Glaze (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line a muffin pan with liners, or spray pan with cooking spray
- Prepare muffin batter by whisking together flour, granulated sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl mix together eggs, pumpkin and oil. Mix these wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients until incorporated.
- Stir in chopped apples.
- Fill muffin cups ⅔ full.
- In mixing bowl beat cream cheese, sugar, milk and vanilla together until smooth. Place a heaping teaspoon of mixture on top of pumpkin batter.
- Using a fork or pastry cutter, combine all ingredients until they form a coarse crumb. Sprinkle evenly over all the muffins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Drizzle with glaze if desired (just mix powdered sugar and milk together until smooth)