Sea Salt Butterscotch Pretzel Cookies are my new salty/sweet obsession! Browned Butter adds depth to the flavor while the butterscotch and chocolate chips keep things perfectly sweet!
A few weeks ago I had the MOST amazing cookie. I visited the local farmers market in our town and there were some great vendors there. Of course I hit up all the baked goods stands and got THIS cookie. It was a chewy chocolate chip cookie loaded with butterscotch and pretzels. I absolutely knew I had to make a version of this cookie at home…and I am fairly sure I knocked it out of the park.
I have never been a huge butterscotch fan… but I learned a few years ago that ACTUAL butterscotch is basically caramel made with brown sugar instead of granulated, which totally blew my mind. The intense butterscotch flavor that is in candies and the chips isn’t the real deal. BUT I do know that TONS of you guys are huge butterscotch [chip] fans.
Enter the most perfect cookie in the universe, made with all brown sugar and the EXACT right amount of butterscotch chips to get the point across without being offensive. Add to that browned butter, pretzels and sea salt and you have a cookie ace.
These cookies are actually a variation of the cookie that graces the cover of The Cookies & Cups Cookbook! Which if you don’t have my book yet, you NEED it and if you haven’t made those cookies you NEED to!
The recipe is crazy easy…no mixer required…and there is SO much flavor packed into these beauties.
Oh, and pretzels…
Ok, so I did mention no mixer required, but you will need some elbow grease. The dough is a little thick, so you really need to get in there to get the chips and pretzels incorporated.
But it’s so worth it. The dough is freaking.delicious.
Use a cookie scoop to drop the dough on the baking sheet. You can press a few extra chips or pretzels on top to make them pretty.
And seriously they bake up GORGEOUS.
I’m not even kidding you…
- 1 cup butter
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1½ cups light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¾ cup butterscotch chips
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pretzels
- optional - flaked sea salt
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, then bring it to a boil. Once the butter starts boiling, swirl the pan constantly until the butter passes the foamy phase and becomes a deep amber color. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the butter to cool for 20 minutes.
- While the butter is cooling, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Add the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla into the cooled butter in the saucepan and stir to combine. Pour this mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture. Stir using a a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until the dough comes together.
- Stir in the butterscotch chips, chocolate chips and pretzels.
- Using a medium (2-tablespoon) cookie scoop, drop the dough 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If desired sprinkle with a tiny pinch of flaked sea salt on top of the cookies while cooling.