My 3 Ingredient Shortbread Recipe is SO simple and buttery, with the perfect hint of sweetness. Shortbread is fantastic served with coffee, dipped in chocolate, or on its own!
Make sure to try my Chocolate Shortbread Recipe and my Chocolate Chip Shortbread too!
This Easy Shortbread Recipe Is Only 3 Ingredients!
I LOVE shortbread…and I have a feeling if you’re reading this, so do you! The buttery, sweet cookie is one of my all time favorites if it is made right. It should be firm and dense but not dry. And I also REALLY like making it with salted butter, so it has a slight balance of sweet and salty!
Dip Your Shortbread in Melted Chocolate!
Go ahead and make your shortbread fancy, if plain isn’t your thing! Just melt some chocolate or white chocolate and drizzle it on top or dip a corner in. You could even add some sprinkles to the melted chocolate too to be festive!
How Do You Make Shortbread Cookies?
The dough is crazy easy…like I said only 3 ingredients: butter, sugar, and flour. I REALLY love using a European style butter in this recipe, as the fat content is slightly higher, meaning it will be that much more rich and flavorful. When you are making a recipe with only 3 ingredients the quality of ingredients can make a difference, so why not splurge and get the fancy butter?!
But of course, you can absolutely use regular butter…it will still be amazing.
Do You Have To Use a Springform Pan?
I like to bake my shortbread in a springform pan, because I love the wedge shape. BUT you can absolutely bake this in a 9- inch square pan if you prefer a square or bar shape.
How Do You Cut Shortbread?
The trick is to cut shortbread when it’s still warm. That way you will get crisp, clean edges. If you wait until it’s cooled it will crumble and break, and you won’t get pretty slices.
Can You Add Anything Into This Shortbread Recipe?
Yes!! Get creative! You really want the flavor of your shortbread to shine, but you can absolutely add in some extras to make it your own. Here are some ideas:
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Finely Chopped Pistachios
- Dried Fruit, like Craisins
- Sprinkle with Flaked Sea Salt
I guarantee this is a recipe you’ll come back to time and again, for it’s delicious flavor and ease of prep.
Looking For More Shortbread Recipes? Try These:
- Checkerboard Cookies
- Strawberry Shortbread Bars
- Brown Butter Shortbread
- Whipped Shortbread
- Potato Chip Shortbread
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes. Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour, mixing until just combined, approximately 30 seconds.
- Press the dough into a 9- inch springform pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the edges are lightly golden.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes.Release the sides of the pan and using a very sharp knife, slice into wedges. Leave the shortbread in the pan until it’s completely cooled.
- Remove from the pan using a spatula.
Store at room temperature for up to 5 days for best freshness.
You can bake this in a 9- inch square pan as well, but for easiest removal, line the pan with aluminum foil before baking.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, shortbread recipe, cookie recipe, 3 ingredients
Want To Save This Recipe?