Cloud Bread is naturally carb and gluten free! It’s a simple alternative to bread and my kids love it too!
Ok, I know this seems a little strange… Carb Free? Gluten Free? What is the world coming to?
But stay with me here for a quick sec. I won’t steer you wrong, I swear it.
I would imagine a lot of us have “gone off carbs” a time or two in our lives. And sometimes when you’re on the no-carb wagon you just want a damn sandwich. I know it’s not just me.
But let me also just say that while this “Cloud Bread” is PERFECT for those watching their carbs, it’s also actually GOOD! The texture is bread-like. I won’t sit here and tell you that it’s bread, but it’s the closest darn thing I have ever had to bread without actually BEING bread. AND it doesn’t have weird aftertaste like a lot of low-carb food seems to. The reason for that is it’s made with completely normal ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen right now.
The main ingredients here are eggs and cream cheese.
When they’re baked up they are SO pretty…They aren’t thick buns, but they can be sliced in half and used on a sandwich!
My son LOVED tuna salad on the cloud bread. It’s VERY soft, so if you want something with a little more durability you could easily toast it!
Here’s the ridiculously easy process…
Just whip the egg whites with the Cream of Tartar (to stabilize the whites). Then mix the yolks, cream cheese a pinch of salt and sugar (if you are using it) together. Fold the whites into the cream cheese mixture CAREFULLY until it’s smooth…
Just scoop it out onto a lined baking sheet in the form of buns…
And when they are baked they will come out like this…
Seriously y’all. TRY this.
If you can’t wait and eat one warm they are a little “eggy”. But if you wait until they’ve cooled completely they will be more bread-like.
Spread a little peanut butter on it, or use it for avocado toast! Seriously it’s so fun!
ps – this is by no means low-calorie or “diet” food. It’s just a fun alternative to traditional bread for those who are trying to avoid it!Print
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- optional: 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (or any natural sweetener like honey, agave syrup etc) OR 1 packet artificial sweetener such as Splenda
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a light colored baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment beat the egg whites and Cream of Tartar together on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- In a large bowl combine the egg yolks, cream cheese, salt and sugar (if using) until completely smooth. You can do this step with a spoon or a mixer.
- Gently fold in the egg whites into the cream cheese mixture. Do this step carefully to not deflate egg whites. The fluffier the batter the fluffier the bread will turn out.
- Scoop the batter onto the prepared pan, forming 6 “buns”, about 4 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the bread is golden brown and set.
- Allow to cool before serving.
store airtight refrigerated for up to 5 days
recipe lightly adapted from all recipes