This pumpkin roll recipe is the ultimate fall dessert! Moist and soft pumpkin cake is wrapped around a rich and velvety cream cheese frosting. Loaded with autumnal spices, this cake roll is surprisingly easy to make too.
Easy Pumpkin Roll Recipe
This creamy and indulgent spiced pumpkin roll is the perfect dessert to make in the fall. The tender pumpkin cake is packed with pumpkin pie spices, brown sugar, and vanilla, and stuffed with a creamy vanilla frosting. It’s guaranteed to be a show-stopper!
Why You’ll Love This Libby’s Pumpkin Roll
I make this recipe a few times every autumn. Once you try baking and eating this pumpkin roll, I’m guessing it will be a staple in your kitchen too! Here’s why you’re going to love it.
- Easy to make. This pumpkin roll is so fancy, yet it’s surprisingly easy to make. It doesn’t take much time or effort to bake the cake or make the frosting, and even assembling the roll is easy and straightforward. Don’t be intimidated by the fact that this rolled pumpkin cake looks challenging to make, because it’s not!
- Bakery quality. This moist and creamy pumpkin roll tastes like it came from your favorite bakery. Your friends and family won’t believe that it was homemade, because it looks and tastes that good.
- Fall favorite. Everybody loves fall flavors. The warm spices, the hearty pumpkin, and the soothing vanilla and brown sugar are such cozy and iconic tastes. This pumpkin roll is loaded with all of those comforting flavors that we love so much.
What Is a Pumpkin Roll?
A pumpkin roll is a dessert that tastes as good as it looks. This rich and moist treat is made by baking a thin pumpkin cake and covering it with a smooth cream cheese frosting. The cake is then rolled up, creating a beautiful dessert that has many layers of flavor.
Here are all the ingredients that you’ll need to make this easy fall classic. Make sure to check out the recipe card at the end of the page to see the exact amounts for each of the ingredients.
For the Cake:
- Pumpkin puree – Libby’s is the brand usually used for pumpkin rolls, but you can use any puree as long as it’s unsweetened and unflavored.
- Brown sugar – Light brown sugar is best for this recipe.
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Vanilla extract – Always use 100% pure extract.
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
- All-purpose flour
For the Filling:
- Cream cheese – Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature.
- Butter – The butter will also need to be at room temperature.
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
How to Make a Pumpkin Roll
Here’s how to make this tender pumpkin cake with a creamy vanilla filling.
- Prep. Preheat your oven to 350F, then line a 10×15-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Coat the parchment paper with nonstick spray, then set aside.
- Beat the eggs. Put the eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer, and use the paddle attachment to beat them lightly.
- Add the seasonings. Add the pumpkin, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, salt, and baking soda to the bowl, and mix until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Incorporate the flour. With the mixer on low, add the flour and mix until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Bake. Spread the pumpkin cake batter over the baking sheet, then put it in the oven. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake, which should take about 15 minutes.
- Roll. Remove the cake and the parchment paper from the pan, then carefully roll the cake.
- Cool. Place the rolled cake on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter. While the cake cools, put the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of your stand mixer. Beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Finish the frosting. Put the powdered sugar and vanilla in the bowl and mix until creamy, which should take about 1 minute.
- Spread the frosting. Unroll the cooled cake and spread the cream cheese filling evenly over the cake. Leave about 1 inch of unfrosted cake on each edge.
- Roll. Carefully roll the cake up while removing the parchment paper.
- Chill. Cover the pumpkin roll and place it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve. Dust the pumpkin roll with powdered sugar and slice, then serve.
Tips for Success
This Libby’s pumpkin roll recipe is easy and straightforward, but here are a few tips to help you make it.
- Roll while warm. The key to assembling this restaurant-quality dessert is to first roll the cake without the filling. When you do that, it’s important that the cake still be warm. When the cake is warm it is much easier to roll, so get to rolling as soon as you’re able to safely handle the cake.
- Keep the parchment paper on. It’s also important to keep the parchment paper on when you roll the pumpkin cake the first time. Then you can remove the parchment paper as you’re rolling the cake with the filling, which will make it much easier.
- Don’t over-bake. You really want to take your pumpkin cake out of the oven before it over-bakes. If the cake is in the oven too long, it will get dry and dense, which will make it crack and fall apart when you try and roll it. Keep a close eye on the cake, and take it out of the oven as soon as a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Use room-temperature eggs. I always recommend using room-temperature eggs when baking cakes. When eggs are at room temperature they’re able to mix with ingredients better. That makes your cake smoother and lighter and will help it stay together when you roll it.
How to Store a Pumpkin Roll
This is an easy dessert to store. All you have to do is place the pumpkin roll in an airtight container and it will last in the fridge for at least 3 days. It’s just as delicious the next day!
Can I Freeze It?
Yes, you can definitely freeze this creamy fall pumpkin roll. Wrap the roll in plastic wrap and make sure that it’s airtight. Store the pumpkin roll on a flat surface in the freezer for up to 1 month, then thaw at room temperature before eating.
More Pumpkin Dessert Ideas
If you’re anything like me, then you probably find yourself making countless pumpkin desserts during the fall and winter. Here are a few more of my favorites.
- Pumpkin Earthquake Cake
- Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Perfect Pumpkin Cake with Maple Frosting
- Cinnamon Streusel Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Cream Cheese Pumpkin Praline Bars
This classic fall dessert has a moist pumpkin cake and a rich and velvety vanilla cream cheese frosting. It’s easy to make, and as delicious as it is beautiful!
For the Cake:
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree (like Libby’s)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
For the Filling:
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the Pumpkin Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Line a 10×15- inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper, leaving about an inch of extra parchment paper at the ends, for easy removal. Very lightly coat the parchment paper with nonstick spray, then set aside.
- Put the eggs in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, and mix on medium until lightly beaten.
- Add in the pumpkin, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, baking soda, and salt and mix for 1 minute, or until smooth.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour. Mix for 30 seconds or until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Evenly spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 15 minutes, or until the cake is set and a toothpick comes out clean. As soon as the cake comes out, while it’s still hot, use the parchment paper to remove it from the pan and place it on a heat-safe surface.
- Leave the parchment paper on the cake and roll it up carefully, starting with the narrow end. When done, place the cake seam-side down on a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the Pumpkin Roll Filling:
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the filling. Add the cream cheese and butter to the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix together on medium speed for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix for another minute until creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
Assemble the Pumpkin Roll:
- When the cake is cooled, carefully unroll it. Using an offset spatula, spread the cream cheese filling evenly onto the cake, leaving an inch of unfrosted cake on each edge.
- Carefully roll the cake up tightly, but pull the parchment paper away from the cake as you do so. Once the cake is rolled, place it on a baking sheet or serving dish and cover it with an airtight lid or plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- Dust the pumpkin roll with powdered sugar, then slice and serve.
- You can store the pumpkin roll in an airtight container or covered in plastic wrap in the fridge for 3 days.
- To freeze, tightly cover the pumpkin roll with plastic wrap, making sure it’s airtight. Place on a flat part of the freezer for up to 1 month, then thaw at room temperature before eating.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 258
- Sugar: 25.2 g
- Sodium: 264.9 mg
- Fat: 12.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Cholesterol: 85.2 mg
Keywords: pumpkin roll recipe, Libby’s pumpkin roll recipe