So..yeah, Day 11 with no power.
BUT…our new, snazzy generator finally got delivered that we ordered before the storm.
So now I can do things like, flush my toilet…or take a warm shower…or heat my house…and even bake cupcakes!
Certainly I shouldn’t be too worried about cupcaking in the midst of hurricane devastation…but cupcaking makes me feel normal. And happy.
So I decided that today I would make some big, showy cupcakes.
And I will tell you, they were worth it.
They’re pretty…they’re yummy and they have the longest name ever: Cinnamon Streusel Pumpkin Cupcakes with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting.
Yep, rolls off the tongue.
There is a lot going on here, but I promise it all works.
And each step is easy.
First make your cupcakes.
The cupcakes are simple…
Just whisk your dry ingredients together…
Then mix up some butter, sugar, pumpkin, vanilla and eggs…
Combine your wet and dry ingredients.
Then fill up your liners…about 2/3 full.
Bake them 15-20 minutes or so…
Next you get to make some simple shortbread streusel.
This stuff is so yummy.
Just flour, butter, sugar and water…oh yeah, and a little cinnamon.
Mix it until it forms a crumble…spread it out on a lined baking sheet…
And bake it for about 20-25 minutes.
You can break apart the crumbles a few times while baking…
You don’t want it to get too brown…just slightly golden. It will harden more as it cools.
Finally you have to make your frosting.
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting.
Melt some white chocolate….
Mix it up with some cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar…
Pipe it on your cupcakes when they are cooled.
Top them all off with that yummy shortbread streusel…
And if you’re feeling crazy, drizzle a little caramel all over that.
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin (100% pure pumpkin)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 (8 oz) block of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup white chocolate chips, melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add in pumpkin, eggs and vanilla and mix together on medium speed until incorporated.
- Turn mixer to low and add in dry ingredients, mixing until combined evenly.
- Fill each liner about 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until centers are set.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- In stand mixer combine flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Mix a few seconds until combined.
- Pour in melted butter and mix until mixture is a coarse crumble.
- Sprinkle mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes until crumbs start to golden. (They will still feel soft, but will harden more as they cool.)
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- In mixer beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Melt white chocolate over double boiler and add to butter/cream cheese mixture.
- Beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Turn mixer to low and add in powdered sugar. Turn speed up to medium and beat until smooth.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before frosting cupcakes.
- Frost with a few tablespoons of frosting and top with streusel. Drizzle with caramel, if desired.
Pumpkin Cupcake recipe adapted from Food Network