These Salted Caramel Macaroons are the perfect combo of sweet and salty!
I will start this post off by saying a huge thank you to all those who sent positive thoughts to me the past few weeks while we lived without power.
We are officially back in business after 2 very long weeks without…
My thoughts still go out to those who are living without power and homes due to the horrible devastation that was Hurricane Sandy. I encourage everyone to donate, even if it’s just a few dollars to the relief efforts for those who are now homeless and suffering.
When the power finally came back on late afternoon last Friday I had never been so excited to run a load of laundry…or wash a load of dishes.
That excitement lasted about 37 minutes.
Apparently it wasn’t DOING the laundry that I missed, it was the ABILITY to do the laundry.
And although I complained every minute of every day without power, or running water or internet, there are many who are far worse off than I.
I’m a bit of a princess.
Working on it…kinda-sorta.
So as my inaugural post-power treat I decided to get serious…Salted Caramel Coconut Macaroons.
And I’m running a fun giveaway HERE (only one day left to enter) to win all the essentials to get your cookie party started.
But back to these cookies.
They are sweet, salty, chewy, coconutty….
Pretty much everything a cookie should be.
I mean, if you like coconut.
Just mix some sweetened condensed milk together with some flour and caramel sauce…
You’ll want to add a bit of sea salt in there too.
I used flaked sea salt, but you don’t have to…
Then dump in a whole lotta coconut.
And give it a sweetened condensed milk/caramel bath…
Drop your yummy batter on a lined baking sheet…
This is how they will look after they’ve baked.
SO they are pretty awesome, as-is, yes?
But I mean, what would happen if we dipped them in chocolate?
Then maybe, I mean…maybe…we could add some more caramel?
I used those little chick pea looking Caramel Bits. I just melted them up with a little water…
And then maybe I sprinkled on a little more sea salt.
Because I’m salty.
- 1 (14 oz) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ¾ cup caramel sauce
- 1 cup flour
- 2 (14 oz) bag shredded sweetened coconut flakes
- 1½- 2 tsp tsp sea salt, divided (I used flaked sea salt)
- 1 cup milk chocolate
- 1 cup caramel bits
- 1 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it lightly with cooking spray. Set aside
- In a large bowl combine flour, sweetened condensed milk and caramel sauce. Add in coconut and 1 tsp of sea salt. Stir until combined.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoon on lined baking sheet about an inch apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Melt milk chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments until melted, stirring after each interval.
- When cookies are cooled dip the bottoms of the cookies into the melted chocolate.
- Melt caramel bits and water in microwave for 45 seconds, or until melted.
- Drizzle caramel over top of the cookies and finish by sprinkling remaining ¾ tsp sea salt on top of caramel, if desired.
- Let set completely before serving.
**I adapted this recipe since I first posted based on feedback from the comments…the recipe is updated!