This EASY Edible Cookie Dough Recipe is egg free, and made with cooked flour so it’s 100% safe to eat, no baking necessary! We all know the cookie dough is the best part of making cookies!
Cookie Dough That’s Safe To Eat!
OK, friends, today is the day that your life is about to change. I mean, yes we all have eaten cookie dough. And quite possibly we’ve all bought raw dough from the fun little shops that are popping up everywhere…but today I’m showing you how to make 100% safe to eat edible cookie dough at home.
I’ll be honest, I have never gotten sick by eating raw cookie dough before I bake my batch of chocolate chip cookies, but I mean, I know salmonella and e. coli are real things in the world. So today, let’s take food poisoning off the table. I’m giving you full on permission to NOT bake the dough. No more living on the edge when it comes to cookie dough. I mean if you were worried about that kind of thing.
What Makes Raw Cookie Dough Unsafe To Eat?
You may or may not know that it’s not just the raw eggs that are the potential hazard here, raw flour is no-no as well!
Can You Eat Raw Flour?
The answer is “At Your Own Risk”. Like I said, I have eaten raw cookie my whole life without issue. But here’s the deal, one time is all it would take and I’m not ready to have cookie dough be ruined by food poisoning! Flour is a raw agricultural product and hasn’t been treated to kill bacteria. The CDC (Center for Disease Control) says that raw flour can carry germs like E. Coli, which could make you sick.
Can You Eat Raw Eggs?
Raw eggs can potentially carry Salmonella. According the American Egg Board only 1 in 20,000 eggs actually is contaminated, but really why risk it if you have another alternative. You can use pasteurized eggs if you must, as they are heated up to 140°F for about 3 1/2 minutes, which is enough to kill bacteria, but not enough to cook them. But again, we’re talking about how to make cookie dough without eggs today, so there is no reason for them in this recipe!
How Can you Make Flour Safe To Eat?
Here’s the cool part! Making flour safe from bacteria is incredibly easy! I am even told they sell flour that’s heat treated, so if you can find that you can skip this step! But let me tell you how easy it is!
How To Heat Treat (Pasteurize) Flour In The Microwave
This is the method I use most often, and include the steps in the recipe card below. It’s super simple!
- Place flour in a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat on high power in 20 second increments, whisking in between each to avoid clumping and cooking unevenly.
- Using a food thermometer repeat this process until the flour temperature is 160°F.
How To Heat Treat Flour In The Oven
If you would like to heat treat larger amounts of flour doing it in the oven might be an easier method!
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silicone Mat.
- Evenly spread the flour on the prepared baking sheet.
- Cook the flour for 5-10 minutes, until the temperature reaches 160°F.
Tips On Making Raw Cookie Dough Extra Delicious!
I mean, not that cookie dough NEEDS any extra help, but if you’re looking to really make it worth your time I have a few secrets!
- Brown the Butter! This is the method I use in my recipe and I am telling you it is worth the teensy bit of extra time. Browned butter just has so much more flavor than butter on its own. The milk fats brown when heated creating a rich, nutty flavor. Since you’re not baking the cookies you lose out on the caramel flavor that happens as the sugars bake. But browning the butter really steps in for that! Do it!
- Salted Butter. I mean, I always use salted butter in my cookies, so this is nothing new for me, but I don’t add additional salt in this recipe, and the salted butter really steps in for that!
- Vanilla Extract. Use Pure Vanilla when making this edible cookie dough. You will taste it, and it makes a difference.
- Brown and White Sugar. The combo of the two is perfection in regular cookie chocolate chip cookie dough, so you have to do it here! If you’re feeling extra, go ahead and use all brown sugar!!
Looking for ore Cookie Dough Treats? Try These:
* These recipes were developed before I knew consuming raw flour was a risk. You can sub in this Edible Cookie Dough in place of the cookie dough in any recipe that contains raw cookie dough if you are concerned.
- Cookie Dough Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cookie Dough Krispie Treats
- Cookie Dough Fudge
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Gooey Butter Bars
This Cookie dough that is completely safe to eat, without any worry! The perfect indulgence!
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a small saucepan over medium heat melt the butter. Once it’s melted continue to cook the butter, swirling the pan constantly. The butter will begin to boil and foam. Continue cooking until it becomes amber in color. Remove it from the heat and allow it to cool at least 20 minutes.
- While the butter is cooling place the flour in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat the flour in 30 second intervals, whisking after each, until a thermometer inserted in the flour reaches 160°F.
- When your butter is cooled whisk in the brown sugar and granulated sugar into the flour until evenly mixed.
- Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon stir in the cooled butter and vanilla extract until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Chill for later or eat immediately!
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days
Keywords:: cookies and cups, cookie dough, raw cookie dough, edible cookie dough, egg free cookie dough, chocolate chip cookie dough
Want To Save This Recipe?