These soft Frosting Filled Chocolate Chip Cookies are such a fun cookie! A surprise of sprinkles and frosting are waiting on the inside…maybe the perfect cookie!
Just when you thought I couldn’t create another chocolate chip cookie recipe OR put frosting on anything else…I decide that chocolate chip cookies needed frosting INSIDE of them. I mean, is there anything more perfect or pretty?
Combining my two favorite food groups into one sweet cookie recipe is about the most on brand idea I have ever had. Frosting filled cookies are basically a birthday party ESSENTIAL. Or really, any day you want to make a little more delicious is a time to bake these frosting filled chocolate chip cookies.
Also, sprinkles make everything happy.
How to stuff cookies with frosting…
What I did was create a thick frosting filling. I based my recipe on this Oreo Filling recipe. I tweaked it slightly, to make it a little stiffer. I didn’t want the filling to melt inside of the cookie, or ooze out while they bake.
I rolled the frosting into balls with about a teaspoon or so of the mixture and then popped them into the freezer for about an hour.
Meanwhile I made the cookie dough. I used a fairly basic recipe, but added a bit more flour so the cookie wouldn’t spread as much. Then I wrapped each frozen frosting ball with a few tablespoons of the cookie dough.
I rolled the dough into balls and placed them on a lined baking sheet to bake.
PRO TIP – Make sure the frosting is completely sealed within the cookie dough to prevent the frosting from leaking out!
They came out looking glorious…
If you prefer a flatter cookie, you can freeze the frosting into flatter discs, instead of a ball and then don’t roll the cookie dough into a ball to bake..make it more of a disc.
I tried it that way and it worked well..I just preferred a big ol’ hunka hunka frosting…
NOTE – I originally used vegetable shortening in filling, but after testing, I have updated the recipe using butter in the frosting. It works just as well and tastes better in my opinion!Print
Frosting Filled Chocolate Chip Cookies are such a fun cookie recipe! A surprise of sprinkles & frosting are waiting on the inside!
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tablespoons sprinkles
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup sprinkles
- Mix the butter, powdered sugar, water and vanilla together in bowl with mixer until smooth. Add in sprinkles and mix until combined.
- Roll frosting into balls using 1 teaspoon of mixture each. Place on a lined pan and freeze for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat and set aside.
- Mix the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes on medium speed in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add in egg and vanilla and continue mixing until smooth, scraping sides as needed. Add in baking soda and salt and mix until combined.
- Add in flour and stir until just combined.
- Finally stir in chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- Scoop out about 2 1/2 tablespoons of cookie dough for each cookie. Form dough around frozen ball of frosting making sure to cover frosting completely and roll into a ball. Place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes. Remove when edges begin to golden.
- Transfer to wire rack.
I enjoy these best served warm!
store airtight for up to 3 days
This recipe was originally written using vegetable shortening in the frosting instead of butter. You can still do that, but after repeat testing, I have found that butter works just as well and tastes better!
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 254
- Sugar: 25 g
- Sodium: 127.1 mg
- Fat: 12.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.8 g
- Protein: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 32.7 mg
Keywords: chocolate chip cookie recipe, best chocolate chip cookies, frosting filled cookies
Want To Save This Recipe?
If you love Chocolate Chip Cookies, check out my complete list of all my favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes!