This whole “fall” situation has gotten away from me.
Like one day it’s summer and now it’s Thanksgiving.
When did that happen?
And quite frankly, somewhere in the month of September I lost my mind.
I have been the mom who forgets that it’s “take your stuffed animal to school day”, the mom who forgets to quiz the children on the spelling words and the mom who forgot the snack at the soccer game.
Yep, that happened.
It was quite possibly my most humiliating “parenting fail” to date.
We all know that the snack after the game is the reason that most children sign up for soccer…and on that Sunday in October I forgot it.
It didn’t dawn on me that the snack was still sitting in my kitchen where I left it until the children stood slack-jawed waiting for their Capri Suns after the final whistle was blown.
I did the most mature thing possible and aggressively didn’t make eye contact with any of them as they exited the field, knowing that children can smell parenting-flop 20 yards away.
So anyway, Thanksgiving is just a few days away. Luckily I just remembered this yesterday, so I have a few days to try and pull something together.
Because while we still have a pantry full of soccer snacks, I’m not sure that granola bars would cut it for the most important food day of the year.
While I can’t help you with turkey-tips, I CAN assist in the last-minute dessert arena.
These are totally fancy-cookie-ish, but only have 4 ingredients.
People will totally be all ooh-ey and ahh-ey over them too.
So yeah, I pretty much nailed it with these.
Nutella Pastry Cookies.
And when I say cookie I totally mean breakfast too.
Form them into 4 equal sized portions and chill for a bit until the dough isn’t sticky.
Roll your portioned dough out on a floured surface…
I used a pizza cutter to cut it…
You’ll need 2 1/2 inch squares…
Then grab your Nutella and blob about a nice big teaspoon into the center of each square…
Wet the edges with a little bit of water…
And pinch the edges closed.
Bake them on a lined baking sheet…
They’ll be nice and golden when they’re done…
Then if you’re feeling extra fancy go ahead and drizzle some Nutella over the top…
I heated the Nutella up a bit and added a tiny amount of vegetable oil to thin it for easier drizzling…
4 ingredients and you’re done.
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 - 1½ cups Nutella
- ¼ cup water
- In a large bowl cream together butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour to mixture until combined.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Refrigerate in a zip-top bag for at least an hour, until dough is no longer sticky.
- When dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly sprinkle counter with flour. Roll out one portion of dough into 10"x7" rectangle. Trim edges if necessary. Cut dough into 2½" squares. Place a heaping teaspoon amount of Nutella in the center of each square. Moisten edges of dough with water, fold over diagonally and then pinch closed.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a SilPat. Place pastries on baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden.
- Transfer to wire rack when done and continue cooling.
- **If desired drizzle you can drizzle the pastry cookies with some extra Nutella...heat ¼ cup Nutella in the microwave for 15-20 seconds, add in about ¼ -1/2 tsp vegetable oil and stir to thin. Lightly drizzle the Nutella on top of the pastries.
store in an airtight container for up to 3 days