These Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies are based on the popular Ben & Jerry’s ice cream flavor! They’re a thick oatmeal cookie loaded with chocolate and topped with a creamy sweet brown sugar cinnamon buttercream!!
I’m not sure if the ice cream flavor is available everywhere, but it’s a HUGE favorite of mine! The ice cream itself is Sweet Cream Cinnamon Ice Cream with Chunks of Oatmeal Cookie and Fudge. So making a cookie version was kinda easy and totally delicious.
You can absolutely make these Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies without the frosting, but keeping in part with the ice cream flavor it’s a fun addition!
Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies are easy! They’re thick and soft with crisp, buttery edges! It’s a fairly straightforward recipe. But I do use only dark brown sugar in my oatmeal cookies. The dark brown sugar gives the cookies a deep, rich flavor. If you have made my Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, you know what I mean…and if you haven’t, you NEED to!!
The quick oats are cut into small pieces (so they cook faster) and tend to give this cookie a more uniformed texture. You could certainly sub in rolled or old fashioned if that’s what you have, it isn’t going to hurt, the cookies will just appear more “oatey”, which is totally a word.
Let the cookies bake until they are golden around the edges…don’t over-bake these guys.
Let them cool on your baking sheet for about 3 minutes and the transfer them over to a wire rack to finish cooling.
While you’re waiting you should make your frosting.
Now this frosting is out of control good. Like I said earlier, it’s a Brown Sugar Cinnamon Buttercream, so it’s pretty much perfect.
Just beat some butter and brown sugar together (again, I used dark, but that’s a personal preference) and add in some cinnamon…
I like using a strong Saigon Cinnamon. It just tends to have a bit more pop of flavor.
Whip that up with some powdered sugar and milk and you’ve got it! Give each cookie a healthy dose of frosting and you’re all set…
Honestly, these are going in the cookie rotation in my house!
makes 36 cookies
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups quick oats
- 2 cups chocolate chunks
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark…I used dark)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 lb powdered sugar (4-5 cups)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 Tbsp milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and brown sugar together until combined, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat for another 2 minutes until light in color.
- Slowly add in flour, salt and baking soda and mix until just combined. Slowly pour in oats and mix.
- Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Form about 1 1/2 tablespoon of dough into balls and place on baking sheet 2″ apart. Bake 8-9 minutes until golden around edges.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In bowl of stand mixer beat butter and brown sugar together for 2 minutes. Turn mixer to low and add in cinnamon and powdered sugar.
- Finally add in milk and vanilla and beat for another 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Spread approximately 1 tablespoon of frosting on each cookie.
Keywords: cookies, oatmeal, oatmeal cookies, recipe, chocolate chunk