Sloppy Joe Stew is an easy, weeknight stew recipe that your whole family will love! The classic flavors of a Sloppy Joe without the bun!
I am a child of the 80s and we lived and breathed that Sloppy Joe-style food life. Even though I grew up in Texas, our kitchen was firmly planted in the Midwest. Casseroles? Yep. Beef Stew? Of course. Meatloaf? Obviouslyyyyy. And Sloppy Joe Sandwiches were definitely one of my mom’s meal planning go-tos. You can see that ground beef recipes were VERY popular in my house.
So why not combine two of my childhood favorites into one thick, savory and EASY dinner idea?
What is Sloppy Joe Stew?
Well, Sloppy Joes are a sandwich that is mainly made with ground beef, onions, sometimes peppers, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. It’s the perfect base ground beef recipe to really get creative with, which is awesome. And in today’s Sloppy Joe STEW recipe, I basically took the bread out of the equation, which is great for those looking for a lower-carb option! Of course, you can serve it with bread on the side to dip, but your carb intake is your own choice!
It’s kind of like a chili, but with the distinct flavor we all know and love in a Sloppy Joe Sandwich.
How do you make Sloppy Joe Stew?
This stew recipe is so easy. You can make it on your stove top in a big pot or Dutch Oven, OR I have provided Slow Cooker directions in the recipe below so you can make it either way!
Here are the easy steps:
- Sauté the onions and peppers, and then add the ground beef, garlic and seasonings to cook.
- Add in some beef broth, tomato soup, Worcestershire, and hot sauce (optional!), and canned corn.
- Let it simmer for about an hour until it’s thick and all the flavors are combined.
Looking for other Ground Beef Recipes?Print
Your favorite old-fashioned sandwich turned into a stew! Perfect for cold weather and game day!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans Condensed Tomato Soup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1–2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add in the diced onions and peppers cooking until the are slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the ground beef, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the meat is no longer pink. Drain any excess fat,
- Add in the broth, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, soup, corn, and smoked paprika, stirring to combine.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour uncovered, stirring occasionally until thickened and flavors are combined.
- Serve warm.
Optional garnish ideas: cilantro, sour cream, grated cheese, croutons, tortilla chips.
Slow Cooker Option: Steps 1 & 2 remain the same. Transfer meat mixture into a slow cooker, and add in the remaining ingredients, stirring to combine. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours, or low for 6 hours.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords:: Sloppy Joe, Stew, Recipe, Dinner, Soup, Slow Cooker