This Crock-Pot® Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes recipe is so easy, and feeds a crowd with very little prep! It’s a great recipe for casual entertaining.
During the holidays…or really anytime, I am all about casual entertaining. I have never been a fancy dinner party thrower, or attender. My friends and I like to get together for dinners pretty regularly, and we are all on the same page when it comes to food…easy, delicious and low-key. I’d rather spend more time having fun and relaxing, than fussing over a complicated menu.
So obviously I use my Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker every chance I get when I have company over…I mean you prep ahead of time, your food cooks while you’re doing other things and then boom! Everything is ready when you need it to be…PLUS you don’t have to worry about things staying warm or using up oven space.
Anyhow, I created this Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe recipe as a fun dinner idea to feed a crowd when you’re having company over OR scale it back and have it as an easy weeknight meal.
The process is crazy easy here…
Just slice up some bell pepper and onions…I didn’t have green bell peppers on-hand, so I used red and orange this time…but you can mix it up for sure!
Put all of the ingredients in the Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker.
I add in some steak seasoning, some brown gravy and some tomato paste.
This really makes the flavor both a combination of sloppy joe AND Philly Cheesesteak!
Cook it on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6. But half way through cooking get on in there with a wooden spoon and break up the ground beef as best you can!
Also, make sure you are using a very lean ground beef when making this recipe. You could even use ground turkey. Since you won’t be draining the meat, you want to make sure the meat has the least amount of fat as possible.
Also, when the sloppy joe mixture is almost done, if you notice that the liquid is very thin you can remove some of the liquid and mix it with some cornstarch. Place this back into the Crock-Pot® and cook for another hour-ish to thicken it up.
There are so many options here on how to serve it too! You can go traditional and serve it with provolone cheese on a bun. Or you could fill a baked potato with it (and add cheese). You could eat it plain, like a chili with Fritos or Tortilla chips…I mean SO many options!
This recipe makes a large portion, so feel free to scale it back if you are just feeding your family. OR make the whole huge batch and freeze the extras!
- 4 pounds very lean ground beef
- 2 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 2 green or yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons steak seasoning
- 1/2 cup brown gravy
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- *optional – 2 tablespoons corn starch
- sliced Provolone cheese
- Add all the ingredients into your 5-6 quart Crock-Pot®.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low 8-10 hours. Halfway through the cooking process break up the ground beef with a wooden spoon.
- If the liquid is too thin, remove 2 – 3 tablespoons liquid from the Crock-Pot® and combine it with 2 tablespoons of corn starch. Pour this back into the Crock-Pot® and stir. Cook for an additional 45 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Serve on hamburger buns with a slice of Provolone cheese.
Want To Save This Recipe?
*This post was written in partnership with Crock-Pot®. All opinions are my own.