This Brownie Bottom Ice Cream Cake is perfect for summer days or birthdays! Everyone will love it!
My kids are fairly jaded when it comes to desserts.
When they come home from school and there is a giant plate of cookies waiting for them, they don’t even waggle an eyebrow.
Same old, same old.
Our house is generally filled with some sort of baked treat. And for the most part they don’t care.
Unless it’s chocolate chip cookies.
Then they act like it’s major.
But this cake.
This cake gets a reaction.
They actually said, “hooray” when they saw it.
Who even says hooray anymore?
Anyhow, I’m gonna take it as a sign.
In all honesty, the idea for this came when I asked my 8 year old what dessert he wanted for his birthday.
Turns out he had been thinking it through already…
Brownie on the bottom, ice cream on top with whipped cream and sprinkles, says he.
So I followed his instruction. For the most part.
See, I’m not an ice cream cake person. You wanna know why?
In so many words, the frosting sucks. It’s a weird whipped topping that is neither Cool Whip or whipped cream. Needless to say, I am not a fan. But I’m also, not a fan of frozen buttercream…call me crazy.
I basically owned this problem.
I used chocolate frosting and put it INSIDE the cake. Like fudge filling.
So yeah, it worked and I am a genius.
And now I’ve made this cake twice in 2 weeks.
Brownie Bottom Ice Cream Cake.
It’s really super simple.
Bake up some brownies in an 8×8 or 11×7 pan. But make sure the pan has deep sides, because you are going to be topping the brownie with stuff.
Also, I used a boxed mix…and if you do as well, just note that I used the “non family sized” mix. I didn’t want the brownie to be too thick.
Then top it with some chocolate frosting.
You can use the canned frosting if you want or here’s my recipe for chocolate fudge frosting.
Full disclosure, I used canned.
Then pop that in the refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes. During this time grab your ice cream out of the freezer to let it soften up.
We chose Cookie Dough Ice Cream. Well, because it rules.
But honestly, use whatever type of ice cream you like best!
I bet Cookies and Cream or Mint Chocolate Chip would be fantastic on this!
Use the whole 1.5 quart container.
Then you can cover that with foil and stick it in the freezer until you’re ready to serve it!
You will need to give it at least 3 hours.
When you are ready go ahead and make some whipped cream.And then spread that all over top…
Don’t forget the sprinkles!And then I dare you to try a pretty picture of it.
But it doesn’t matter because it’s so dang tasty! And this is coming from a girl who doesn’t like ice cream cake!
- 1 box Brownie Mix, 15-18 oz (NOT Family Sized) made according to package directions in an 8x8 pan
- 1½ cups chocolate frosting
- 1.5 qts Cookie Dough Ice Cream (or your favorite flavor)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- sprinkles to garnish
- Spray an 8x8 or 11x7 deep-dish baking dish with cooking spray. Sides need to come up at least 3 inches to leave room for the ice cream and whipped cream layer.
- Bake brownies according to package directions.
- Let cool completely before moving on to next step.
- Spread chocolate frosting onto cooled brownies.
- Place frosted brownies in refrigerator.
- Now remove ice cream from freezer and allow to soften for about 30 minutes.
- Remove brownies from refrigerator and top with ice cream, spreading evenly.
- Cover and place in freezer for at least 3 hours.
- Before serving prepare your whipped cream. Place heavy whipping cream in bowl of stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and add in granulated sugar. Beat cream on high speed for about 2 minutes until it becomes thick.
- Spread onto ice cream cake and serve immediately.