These are my kids favorite brownies! It’s such a simple brownie recipe guaranteed to be a hit!
So this recipe is a family classic…
One of those things that my mom made for me growing up.
When she passed away a few years ago I never really thought about them again, honestly. I mean, I do have a few brownie recipes of my own
Anyhow, I was on Pinterest a while back and saw a photo of a brownie that looked like the brownies I remembered eating as a kid…a crusty frosted brownie that was dense and chewy!
Luckily I have all my mom’s recipe boxes and was able to find the recipe card! It looks like she got the recipe from a church friend…it’s one of those recipes that I am sure was passed around a lot in the 80s.
I made these for my kids and they quickly declared them their favorite…I think it’s because of their mild chocolate flavor, no coffee or espresso…with a frosting that’s not too thick.
You see, you frost the brownies while they are still warm so the frosting half absorbs into the top of the brownie…it’s awesome!
I prefer a brownie with a little more chocolate-umph now, but as a kid I thought these were just THE best. You could easily amp them up using a dark chocolate cocoa powder… but I think these are absolutely perfect for what they are: a delicious, everyday brownie that everyone will love!
The consistency is chewy, and thick…and with the frosting on the top they are perfectly sweet.
I normally use melted chocolate in my brownies (again for more “chocolate flavor”) but these are great because they are a one pot brownie recipe, using cocoa powder. It’s always great to be able to whip up a scratch brownie just as easily as you would a box mix!
When you mix the melted butter, cocoa powder, eggs and vanilla together it will begin to thicken up looking this this…
Then add your sugar and then flour…
Spread it into your pan…
And bake them up. These bake really evenly, which is nice!
While they’re baking make your frosting. And then spread that all over the top while the brownies are still warm. This makes some of the frosting melt right into the top of the brownies. Seriously.
When they are cooled you can pull them out of the pan… I mean how perfect are these??
They are the perfect little sweet snack, that my kid told me were “even better than Cosmic Brownies” which basically translates into BEST EVER!
Also, I want to let you guys know I started a new facebook page where I, along with a group of cool girls, share out favorite recipes from around the internets! Totally check it out it’s called Everyday Food and Recipes!
- 1 cup butter, melted
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 1½ Tbsp vanilla
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup milk
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line a 9x13 pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer combine melted butter and cocoa powder. Mix on medium speed until all lumps are gone.
- Add in eggs and vanilla and beat until thickened and smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add in sugar and beat until incorporated and finally add in flour and mix until combined.
- Spread in prepared pan and bake 15-20 minutes until center is just set.
- While the bronwies are baking prepare your frosting my beating the butter and cocoa powder together. Add in milk and powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Allow the brownies to cool for about 10-15 minutes and then spread on frosting. The brownies will still be warm, this is what you want.
- Allow brownies to cool completely before cutting into squares,