These rich and simple Rainbow Chip Brownies are chewy and fudgy made even sweeter with chocolate frosting spread on while the brownies are still warm! Topped with Rainbow Chips makes them adorable and colorful, like Cosmic Brownies only WAY better!
My kiddo loves Cosmic Brownies. You know, the ones by Little Debbie. I could have literally baked 3 pies, 2 cakes and a batch of sugar cookies and if there are Cosmic Brownies in our pantry my littles will bypass all the homemade goodness for strangely glossy brownies inside cellophane wrappers. They have magic in them for sure.
Clearly the obvious choice here is to not PURCHASE the Cosmic Brownies in the first place. Yes, duh, I get it…but I feel like Little Debbie is an essential part of the childhood experience. I mean Oatmeal Cream Pies and Star Crunch were regulars in my lunchbox and I think I turned out pretty normal-ish. So yes, they do make an appearance in our pantry from time to time only to be devoured by my alien children in a day and a half.
But since Little Debbie makes me feel like a Bitter Betty when my kids go for her treats over mine I decided to come up with my own Cosmic magic situation. Turns out the answer is frosting and Rainbow Chips. Isn’t it always?
The brownie batter is simple. I use a mixer but you absolutely don’t have to…
Just spread the brownie batter in the pan and bake them up. They don’t take long.
Then make your quick frosting and spread that on the brownies when they’re warm. Trust me on this…the frosting will partially melt into the brownies and you’ll get omg deliciousness.
Then sprinkle rainbow chips all over. Do this immediately, so they stick to the frosting!
Let them cool and they slice up like a dream…
My kids totally approved.Print
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1½ Tbsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup milk
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup Rainbow Chips
- Preheat oven to 350°/175°C
- Line a 9×13 pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer combine brown sugar and cocoa powder. Mix on medium speed until all lumps are gone.
- Add in the melted butter, vanilla and eggs and mix until thickened and smooth, about 1 minute.
- Finally add in flour and mix until combined.
- Spread in prepared pan and bake 15-20 minutes until center is just set.
- While the brownies are baking prepare your frosting my beating the butter and cocoa powder together. Add in milk and powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Allow the brownies to cool for about 10 minutes and then spread on the frosting. The brownies will still be warm, this is what you want. Then sprinkle the rainbow chips on the frosting, pressing gently so they stick.
- Allow brownies to cool completely before cutting into squares,
If you don’t want to use a stand mixer for this recipe, just whisk the sugar and cocoa powder together and then follow the instructions using a wooden spoon to mix the rest of the batter until it’s smooth.