These Red Velvet Cake Krispie Treats are a simple spin on the Basic Rice Krispie Treat! And we amped them up with a yummy frosting filling!
First and foremost I have to let you know these were my kiddo’s idea.
He has recently taken up an interest in giving me flavor combinations that sound…well…interesting.
For example, this week I let each of the kids invent their own ice cream flavors that we made in the ice cream maker.
His recipe was peanut butter cup, cookie dough, Golden Oreo with a Strawberry Syrup swirl.
Otherwise known as Vomit Flavor.
But sometimes he has good ideas.
Like these Red Velvet Cake Krispie Treats.
Which he told me HAD to include frosting.
I might be raising a genius. Honestly these couldn’t be easier.
And the easy way to stuff krispie treats is to line a large jelly roll pan with foil. Spray lightly with cooking spray and set aside.
We used large marshmallows on this day because it was all we had in the house. I usually prefer to use mini marshmallows because they melt faster.
Whatever, survival of the fittest.
Then cut the krispie treats in half…
- ¼ cup butter
- 10 oz large marshmallows (or a 10.5 oz bag of mini marshmallows)
- ⅓ cup dry Red Velvet Cake mix
- 6 cup rice krispie cereal
- ½ cup butter or cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Line a 10"x15" jelly roll pan with foil and grease lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat
- Add marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and add in dry cake mix, stirring until mixed completely with marshmallow.
- Stir in rice krispie cereal and coat evenly with mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and press evenly. Let cool.
- Make filling by beating butter and powdered sugar together.
- Cut the krispie treat sheet in half, so you have two equal portions, and spread the filling on one of the portions.
- Place the other half on top and cut into squares.