Crock Pot Corn Bread is a delicious, moist and easy corn bread recipe. Making corn bread in the slow cooker saves oven space, but also makes the best corn bread you will ever have!
I am a firm believer in if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. So today’s Crock Pot Corn Bread recipe admittingly is kinda-sorta unnecessary-ish. Let me explain. Baking bread in a slow cooker, certainly isn’t a time saver. BUT it is a space saver. So when you are cooking for a crowd, it’s an easy way to free up some coveted oven space. Even on a weeknight, this corn bread recipe is the perfect side dish to a chicken recipe! I feel like this is the way cornbread was intended…it’s honestly the only way I like to make it!
So WHY Would You Make Corn Bread in a Crock Pot?
The answer here folks, is that it is just GOOD. Certainly if you prefer a cornbread made in a skillet with crispy edges, you won’t get that here. Slow Cookers are known for making crispy food. BUT if you like a soft, moist cornbread, this is for you. Think about it, the slow cooker hold in all the moisture while it’s baking/cooking and a lot of that reabsorbs into the bread.
You just need to be careful when you remove the lid that the condensation that builds up on the lid of the slow cooker doesn’t drip onto the corn bread. Moist corn bread = good. Soggy corn bread = gross.
If you prefer a drier, more crumbly corn bread this also might not be for you…but please believe that the texture of this Crock Pot Corn Bread is very much corn bready…just in the best way possible. You get what I’m saying, right?
Can You Bake This Corn Bread in the Oven?
Absolutely! This easy corn bread recipe can be made in the oven in 25 minutes. You don’t change the recipe at all, just bake it in a 9- inch deep dish pie plate, or an 8×8 baking dish and you will have delicious corn bread quickly! The slow cooker method is fantastic for anyone wanting to save oven space, or don’t want to bake in a hot oven in the warmer months.
Also, like I said earlier, the Crock Pot method produces an ultra moist corn bread that can’t be duplicated in the oven!
What Can I Add to Corn Bread?
I truly believe this is the easiest, and best corn bread recipe that I have ever made. I don’t like fussy recipes, and this one fits the bill. What’s also so great about this corn bread is that you can adapt it and get creative! Here are a few examples:
- Chipotle Corn Bread: Add in 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika + 1 canned chipotle pepper in Adobo sauce, finely diced
- Cheesy Corn Bread: Add in 1/2 cup fresh grated cheddar cheese
- Honey Corn Bread: Add in 2 tablespoons of honey, and reduce the granulated sugar to 1/4 cup
- Brown Sugar Corn Bread: substitute the granulated sugar for packed light brown sugar
An important tip to making this corn bread recipe is making sure you line the sow cooker with foil and coat it with nonstick spray…
When the corn bread is finished, the foil will make it extra easy to remove!
Allow the corn bread to cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the slow cooker insert. The you can but it into pieces warm, or wait and serve it at room temperature.
I love experimenting with different methods of cooking, and when I find one that I actually prefer over the original it’s exciting!
If you’re looking for more delicious bread recipes, try these!Print
Slow Cooker Corn Bread
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- optional – 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup corn (canned and drained, or frozen and thawed)
- Line the bottom of your slow cooker with foil. Coat with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, smoked paprika, and flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk, and oil.
- Add the egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture and stir to combine. Add in the corn and mix until incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared slow cooker. Cook on high for 1 1/2 hours, or until the center of the cornbread is set.
- When removing lid, be careful not to knock the condensation onto the cornbread. Remove slowly, and wipe the condensation off the lid, and replace if needed.
- Remove the slow cooker insert (if possible) and allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. If your slow cooker doesn’t have an insert, turn slow cooker off and allow the cornbread to cool as-is.
- Carefully lift foil out of the slow cooker and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into wedges or bars to serve.
Store airtight for up to 3 days
You can bake this recipe in the oven in a 9- inch deep dish pie plate for 25 minutes at 350°F
Keywords:: slow cooker, crock pot, corn bread, corn