This Homemade Graham Crackers recipe is way better than anything you’ll get from a box. Sweet, crisp, and buttery – they’ll be your family’s favorite afternoon snack!
Did You Know You Can Make Graham Crackers From Scratch? It’s So Easy!
Lately, we’ve been hanging in our backyard a lot. The weather is finally warming up and it’s just the perfect time to soak up some sun, listen to the birds singing and get some R&R in. Of course, hanging out in the yard usually leads to a fire in the fire pit and you know what that means. S’mores! One of the three essentials of a good s’more is a graham cracker – so we’ve been going through A LOT of graham crackers.
I never really thought about making my own graham crackers until recently. When I sat down to think about the ingredients, I was kind of shocked I hadn’t been making my own for years. They are so EASY to make and really hard to mess up.
I know most people think of graham crackers as kid food – but I’ve been loving my homemade graham crackers with a cup of warm tea or hot chocolate. My kids like them with some PB or nutella smeared on top. And, they are perfect for scooping up any sweet dip you’re mixing up!
Why Make Graham Crackers from Scratch?
I know, it’s so easy to just grab a box of grahams at the store. Why bother making your own at home, right?
Well for starters, you can control the ingredients! I know this isn’t a top priority for everyone, but if it is for you, you’re going to love this graham crackers recipe. Making them at home means they won’t have any preservatives or crazy ingredients you can’t even pronounce.
Plus, the flavor is crazy good! It’s easy to say that homemade tastes better, but these graham crackers really prove it! They are sweet, crisp, and buttery in the best way possible. They have a slight tenderness that I love, unlike the boxed kind which can sometimes feel a bit stale.
I think you’ll be surprised by how simple the ingredients are for these Graham Crackers. I know I was and now I can’t stop! With the exception of whole wheat flour, every single ingredient is a pantry staple for any baker.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- light brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
- baking soda
- kosher salt
- all purpose flour
- whole wheat flour
- granulated sugar
Do You Have To Use Whole Wheat Flour?
Yep, you do…to get that nutty flavor that is standard in graham crackers, wheat flour isn’t optional. They do sell graham flour as well, but I opted to use whole wheat in my recipe, as it is much easier to find!
How to Make Graham Crackers
This graham crackers recipe is so easy you’re going to be surprised you haven’t gone the DIY with these buttery crackers before! Here’s how you do it:
- Mix: In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter and brown sugar together for 2 minutes, until it is completely combined.
- Add: Add in the vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix for 30 seconds until evenly incorporated.
- Combine: Turn the mixer to low and add in the flours and milk in alternating portions, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix until everything is combined, the dough will be thick.
- Refrigerate: Form the dough into a ball and flatten it into a disk. Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 4 hours or overnight.
- Prep: When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Roll: On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a knife, or pizza cutter, cut the dough into 3.5×2.5- inch rectangles.
- Sprinkle: Sprinkle the granulated sugar evenly onto the pieces, pressing lightly into the dough. Prick the dough with a fork to create the store-bought look.
- Bake: Place the dough rectangles onto the prepared baking sheet 1/2- inch apart. Bake them for 9-11 minutes until the edges are lightly golden.
- Cool: Transfer your graham crackers to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to Store
When I make graham crackers, one of the things I look forward to is having them around to snack on for a few days. Of course, that requires proper storage so I store them in an airtight container or bag at room temperature. No need to refrigerate them – that will actually make them go stale more quickly. They will keep their slightly tender but crisp texture for about 5 days.
Recipes To Use Homemade Graham Crackers:Print
This Homemade Graham Crackers recipe is way better than anything you’ll get from a box. Sweet, crisp and buttery – they’ll be your favorite afternoon snack!
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4-cup granulated sugar
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and brown sugar together for 2 minutes, until combined.
- Add in the vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix for 30 seconds until evenly incorporated.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the flours and milk in alternating portions, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix until combined. Dough will be thick.
- Form the dough into a ball and flatten into a disk.
- Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Using a knife, or pizza cutter, cut into 3.5×2.5- inch rectangles.
- Sprinkle the granulated sugar evenly onto the pieces, pressing lightly into the dough. Prick the dough with a fork to create the store-bought look. Place onto the prepared baking sheet 1/2- inch apart.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until the edges are lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 cracker
- Calories: 88
- Sugar: 7.5 g
- Sodium: 38.7 mg
- Fat: 2.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.1 g
- Protein: 1.4 g
- Cholesterol: 6.8 mg
Keywords: graham crackers recipe, how to make graham crackers, homemade graham crackers, easy snack idea
Want To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later: