Homemade Nutter Butters are a literal game changer. They are soft, with crisp edges, loaded with peanut butter flavor and filled with a delicious peanut butter buttercream!
Ok, so Nutter Butter Cookies from the supermarket are good, they are. And surely, the whole idea of making Homemade Nutter Butter Cookies is totally extra…but friends, these are REALLY good. Like omg YESSSSS good. Plus, you probably have all the Nutter Butter Ingredients in your kitchen right now!AND they’re soft, so they kinda win by default.
Soft cookies > Hard cookies all day everyday.
Why Make Nutter Butters At Home?
Of course picking up that package at he store is easy, I get it. But this homemade version will have you doing a happy dance. The cookies are soft peanut butter cookies with lightly crisp and buttery edges. And they sandwich the most dreamy peanut butter buttercream of all times. If you are a peanut butter lover, this is the cookie for you.
How To Make Homemade Nutter Butters Step by Step:
The steps are easy, but there are a few. Stay with me.
Of course, you will need peanut butter…
You’ll be using it in the cookie dough and the filling.
The dough comes together quickly, but you will need to chill it for an hour, so it’s easy to roll into little logs.
You’ll roll them in some granulated sugar, and then use a fork to create the criss-cross shape.
Then give the center a pinch, to get the classic Nutter Butter shape!
Then bake them until they are golden brown at the edges.
NOTE – if they spread too much while they’re baking, just give the middles a little pinch while they’re warm to keep the shape!
Let them cool, make your filling and pair them up to create the sandwiches.
You won’t ever want to buy store bought Nutter Butters again!
I’ll take 4 please!
PIN for later:
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
- Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Homemade Nutter Butters are a peanut butter lovers dream!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup extra granulated sugar for rolling
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2–3 tablespoons milk
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter, peanut butter, and both sugars together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes on medium speed. Add in eggs, vanilla, baking soda, and baking powder continuing to mix until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in flour, mixing until just combined. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Form the chilled dough into 1- inch balls and then roll them into a log shape. Coat each log in granulated sugar and place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Using a fork, press down on the dough creating a criss-cross pattern. Pinch the center to create the peanut shape.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes until edges are lightly golden. Cool on baking sheet 2-3 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to continue cooling.
- In the clean bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter and peanut butter together on medium speed until smooth. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and beat until filling is smooth. Add your milk, one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Spread a heaping tablespoon of filling onto the bottom of one of the peanut butter cookies and then top with another cookie to create sandwich.
*if your cookies spread too much pinch the middles when they come out of the oven so your “nut” shape is preserved!
store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 440
- Sugar: 31.3 g
- Sodium: 139.2 mg
- Fat: 27.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 44.7 g
- Protein: 7.3 g
- Cholesterol: 56.2 mg
Keywords: nutter butter cookie recipe, homemade peanut butter cookies, easy cookie recipe