This easy Pumpkin Shortbread will make your house smell fantastic when it’s baking!
So yeah, the hurricane came.
We are safe, but have no power…
Which was basically what we all knew would happen.
Living like a pioneer or an Amish person doesn’t jive with my inner 21 Century self, I have discovered.
And my kid asked me, as we sat in the dark at 7:30 pm last night, if this is what is was like in the 1980’s.
So, maybe I should get out a few history books while we have no tv or internet to keep us occupied…
Luckily, though, I made this Pumpkin Shortbread last week.
And it totally seems pioneer-y, doesn’t it?
Maybe Pioneer-y circa 1982.
It comes together quickly…just whisk the dry ingredients together. You could also sift them, but I am incredibly lazy and the whisk was closer.
It will look a little like this…
Spread it in a greased tart pan…I used my off-set spatula to help me smooth it nicely.
And just bake it up, for about an hour or so…
And I highly suggest you pour glaze all over the top.
You really should.
Let the glaze drip over the edges and set up…
And slice it into wedges.
- 1¼ cups flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup pumpkin
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 - 3 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 300°
- Spray a 9" tart pan with nonstick spray.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
- In stand mixer beat butter and powdered sugar until smooth. Add in pumpkin and beat until combined.
- Turn mixer to low and ad in dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Spread dough into prepared pan. I used an off-set spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes until form and golden brown.
- Let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes and then remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack. (I lined the counter under the wire rack with wax paper to prevent from dripping on the counter and an easier clean up)
- Mix up you glaze in a bowl and stir until there are no lumps. Pour desired amount of glaze on top of shortbread. Let glaze set and eat immediately.
Adapted from Libby's