These Birthday Cake Pancakes (aka Funfetti Pancakes) are an easy and fun pancakes recipe made extra festive with sprinkles and yellow cake mix! The perfect birthday breakfast treat!
Oh my sprinkles you guys.
Today we’re talking pancakes. And by pancakes I mean the most epic of all time pancakes…because sprinkles. I mean, I’m not sure if they replace my favorite and best pancakes recipe ever, but they are DEFINITELY pretty special!
I will admit…I used to be a not so great pancake maker. It’s silly. I would burn them..or I flip them too early. I’d make them too thick…or too thin…
ANYYYWAYYY, we all know sprinkles make everything better, I decided to throw my hand in the ring again, with these SPRINKLE PANCAKES! And I have to say I’m glad I persevered. They are absolutely the most fun pancake ever to exist!
Birthday Cake Pancakes are the Perfect Birthday Breakfast!
These Birthday Cake Pancakes are ridiculously easy. They are the perfect combo of cake and pancakes…What I am saying it, they aren’t just pancakes with sprinkles….and they aren’t just fried cake. They are the perfect combination of both.
My kids LOVED them and I have to say that I feel like I have now conquered the pancake. Plus, they’re topped with a sweet icing that sends this whole situation into next Tuesday.
Making these homemade sprinkle pancakes is really a great breakfast idea that you can get your kids involved with as well! AND please don’t save these just for birthdays. Sprinkles should be enjoyed 365 days a year, don’t you think?
Can These Pancakes Be Made With Any Boxed Cake Flavor?
Sure! But if you do choose a “flavor”, know it will be a little toned down because you are adding an equal amount of all purpose flour. So, for example I would definitely recommend using Funfetti Cake Mix in place of the yellow cake mix, but maybe not Strawberry, if you’re looking for a lot of strawberry flavor. Make sense?
Here are some other cake flavors you could use in these Birthday Cake Pancakes:
- French Vanilla
- Spice Cake
The Birthday Cake Pancakes are guaranteed to make your breakfast table full of smiles!
Looking for more breakfast ideas? Try these:Print
These are delicious sprinkle pancakes!
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup dry yellow boxed cake mix
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup sprinkles, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 6 Tbsp heavy cream
- Heat large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. I find medium low is best for pancakes so they don’t brown too fast and cook well enough to flip them!
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cake mix, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together buttermilk, egg, vegetable oil and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined, but slightly lumpy. Gently stir 1/4 cup sprinkles into batter.
- Spray skillet with non-stick spray and place 1/4 cup batter in the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then flip. Cook for another 2 minutes until set.
- Whisk powdered sugar and cream together until smooth.
- Pour on top of pancakes and add more sprinkles on top.
- Serve warm.
Recipe from Stack Happy
Keywords:: pancakes, sprinkles, cake mix, breakfast, cookies and cups
Want To Save This Recipe?
Helpful Tip… Out of buttermilk?