These Corn Dog Muffins make an insanely easy weeknight dinner, or a perfect game day appetizer! These bite sized cheesy cornbread muffins, loaded with hot dogs are a favorite in my house!
I say this on my dinner recipes a lot, but I am ALWAYS on the hunt for a quick and easy dinner idea. Weeknights can be a busy time for families, between school, sports, and after-school activities, sometimes getting everyone around the dinner table at the same time is tough.
These Quick and Easy Corn Dog Muffins Are A Family Favorite
Don’t get me wrong, these aren’t a meal that we serve all the time. Of course I know there are healthier options out there, but there is a time and a place for Corn Dog Muffins. And if you serve a salad with them, or at the very least a side of baby carrots I’m willing to call that a balanced meal. Kinda.
Cornbread + Hot Dogs = Weeknight Dinner or Game Day Snack
These quick muffins can do double duty. Game Day food is a whole category in and of itself, so these would be a fantastic option to switch up the usual Pigs in a Blanket!
Plus, they are very kid friendly. Your kiddos will love to help make these muffins, AND eat them! A win all around!
How To Make Corn Dog Muffins
The simplicity of this recipe is outstanding. You literally only need a few items to whip these up:
- Cornbread Mix
- Hot Dogs
What Type of Cornbread Mix Do You Need?
You can honestly use just about any type of cornbread mix you prefer. I really like Honey Cornbread Mix because the added sweetness pairs well with the hot dogs, The sweet/savory balance works really well together.
Just make sure that you are using between 16 and 17 ounces of dry mix.
Do You Follow the Cornbread Recipe on the Back of the Box?
Nope. Follow the instructions as written in the recipe below, ignoring the recipe on the back of the box. The hot dogs release liquid and fat as they cook, so that seeps into the muffin a bit. Plus we’re adding cheese to the mixture as well, so all you need are eggs and milk to add to the dry mix, no matter what the brand.
Can You Make The Cornbread From Scratch?
I haven’t with this recipe, but know that it’s possible, because I have a friend who has made these and does. If you have a cornbread recipe you really love, I’d try it, but you might want to omit, or lower the amount of oil or butter the recipe calls for, because of the hot dogs.
What Brand of Hot Dogs Work Best?
We like Nathan’s or Hebrew National, but certainly use what you like!
I love easy recipes like this that are a perfect family friendly meal on the go! Baking in muffin tins, makes everything a little more fun.
Looking For More Savory Muffins? Try These:Print
These extra easy muffins are perfect game day food, quick dinner, or snack!
- 16–17 ounces dry Honey Cornbread mix (you can use any brand)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 hot dogs, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a muffin tin heavily with nonstick spray, or use cupcake liners. Set aside
- In a large bowl mix together the cornbread mix, milk, and eggs. Stir in the cheese until combined.
- Fold in the chopped hot dogs into the cornbread batter. Alternately you can press the hot dogs into the filled muffin tins, to ensure equal hot dog distribution.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring spoon, fill the muffin tins up 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until the corn bread is set.
- Loosen the edges of the muffins with a butter knife if necessary. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before removing.
- Serve warm.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, corn dogs, corn dog muffins, 30 minute meal, hot dogs, cornbread
Want To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later!