Double the Crumb Cake is a tender vanilla cake, swirled with cinnamon sugar and topped with just about as much crumb topping as I could fit in the pan! We all know the crumb is the best part!
Can we all just stop pretending that cake for breakfast is a no-no. Also, don’t ever say no-no again. kthanks.
But you know. Everyone’s all “eat cake for breakfast”, let’s make it a thing… DUDE. IT’S ALREADY A THING. People have been eating coffee cake for like 400 years. Or something. The google tells me that the Germans invented it a loooong time ago. Thanks for that Germany.
ANYWAYYYYY. The thing with cake for breakfast is that it seems that frosting is the difference between “dessert” cake and “breakfast” cake. And leave off the frosting and I’m super not interested. BUT replace the frosting with buttery crumb topping and I’m back. Double the crumb topping and I’m not only back, I’m IN it. Face first.
The problem I have found with Crumb Cakes in the past is, while I LOVE the crumb topping, the cake is always a bit on the dry side. Now I do understand why…you need a nice, dense cake to stand up to the crumb topping so it doesn’t all sink in. But in my opinion the cake should be able to stand on it’s own and be equally as tasty without the crumb topping.
So not only is this crumb cake recipe moist and soft, it also has a delicious, buttery, cinnamon swirl which adds an extra layer of flavor.
And of course the crumb topping has to be good and plentiful. When you’re mixing it up, you’ll start to question the amount. Trust me here, I mean it is DOUBLE the Crumb Cake!
My secret is to bake the cake almost halfway BEFORE adding the crumb topping. This way you can use a softer cake recipe. How? Well simple…the cake will start to bake, and adding the topping on partway through ensures it won’t sink to the bottom! Got it?
So, after about 10 minutes of baking your cake you will snatch it out of the oven and pile on that crumb!
Work as quickly as you can here, so the cake doesn’t cool off.
Then finish the baking, let it cool and dig the heck in!
This is one jam packed crumb cake recipe, and it’s sure to be your new favorite breakfast treat!
Soft cake, cinnamon swirl and extra crumb topping. I’m in love!
And if crumb topping is your thing check out my Coffee Cake Cookies!!Print
I love cake, but I love crumb topping more! This soft cinnamon swirled cake is topped with the most crumb topping ever!
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups butter, melted
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9×9 baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Prepare the crumb topping by combining all the crumb ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix using a spoon to combine the ingredients. Use your hands to squeeze the mixture together to create large “crumbs”. Set aside.
- To make the cake combine the oil, egg, vanilla, milk, granulated sugar, salt, and baking powder in the bowl of your stand mixer. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute until smooth and combined. Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour and mix until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Pour this batter into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl mix together the light brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. Drop this onto the cake batter evenly and then swirl in using a butter knife.
- Bake the cake for 10 minutes in preheated oven.
- After 10 minutes, remove the cake from the oven and quickly place all the crumb topping evenly on top. Return the cake to the oven and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool before slicing.
Keywords: crumb topping, cake, recipe, crumb cake