Soft and Chewy Malted Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are easily one of the best oatmeal cookies ever! The subtle malted milk flavor adds a hint of something special and adds to the chewiness of the cookie!
Can you even with these? I mean how have I not thought of this combo in the last 10 years that I’ve been blogging? I feel like I’ve let down the whole world, myself included. I mean I am ALL about a chocolate chip cookie recipe and I LOVE Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies and my Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, so why in the world haven’t I ever combined the two?
Malted Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Much like both of my recipes, with these I also recommend chilling the dough. I know, I’m sorry. I mean you don’t HAVE to…but the flavors combine so nicely, and also you will get a thicker cookie if you bake it chilled. If you just don’t want to chill the dough, they won’t be ruined, they will just be a little thinner, and the flavors just aren’t as extra, if that makes sense. It does, right?
How Do I Make Malted Cookies?
If you aren’t a malt fan, I think you’ll still like these. The flavor is subtle, and the malted milk powder just adds a nice chew to the cookie! I find my malted milk powder at my supermarket near the hot chocolate mix, OR you can get it here.
What is Malted Milk Powder?
Malted Milk is a powdered mixture of wheat flour, malted barley, and evaporated milk. It’s used in baking to add its distinct flavor, but also is used in bread baking to assist in the dough rising. I used it in this recipe for the subtle flavor it adds!
You can also use either Quick Oats (which I recommend for these) OR old-fashioned oats, either will work, it’s just a texture difference. I enjoy them both ways, but for this cookie I like the quick oats (which are really just old-fashioned oats cut smaller).
Looking for more Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes? Try these:
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brownie Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Birthday Cake Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cookie Dough STUFFED Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chewy Malted Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are easily one of the best oatmeal cookies ever! The subtle malted milk flavor adds a hint of something special.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup malted milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 cups quick oats
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. In stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and sugar together about 2 minutes on medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
2. Add in the malted milk powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix for about 30 seconds until combined.
3. Turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the flour until just combined.
4. Slowly add in oats and mix until evenly incorporated.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips and stir until mixed in.
6. Let dough chill for at least 2 hours (overnight is best)
7. When ready to bake preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
8. Using a medium (2 tablespoon) cookie scoop drop the dough 2-inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
9. Bake for 9-11 minutes until golden around edges, but still soft in center. Do not over-bake!!
10. Let cool on baking sheet for 3 min and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store airtight for up to 3 days.
The flavors really mix together well when you allow the dough to chill. Also, you will produce a thicker cookie when the dough is baked chilled. If you don’t want to chill the dough, the results will still be good, it will just be a thinner cookie.
Keywords:: best oatmeal cookie recipe, chocolate chip cookie recipe, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, easy cookie recipe
Want To Save This Recipe?