Perfect Chocolate Chunk Cookies are for the true chocolate lover! I load my cookie recipe with as much chocolate as I can pack into each chocolate chunk cookie!
The Perfect Chocolate Chunk Cookie is thick and PACKED with CHOCOLATE!
My recipe for chocolate chunk cookies is the BEST! It’s everything that a good chocolate chunk cookie needs to be…it’s thick, buttery and LOADED with chocolate.
It seems like there are two types of people…the chocolate CHIP cookie person and the chocolate CHUNK cookie person. Me? I’m all inclusive…I will take what you got. But apparently people have strong opinions!
And the thing is, I guess you COULD just sub in chocolate chunks for chips in most cookie recipes, but honestly it’s not the right move. Let me explain. A good Chocolate Chunk Cookie needs a different type of cookie. It needs a thick cookie that can hold all the chunk! If you have a thin cookie, the chunks have no place to get cozy…which causes the chocolate to melt and kinda-sorta stick out of the cookie.
You want a cookie that will stand up to your chocolate!
How to make PERFECT Chocolate Chunk Cookies
The key to making the best chocolate chunk cookies, like I said, is the thickness AND the chocolate you use!
- This recipe requires no chill time, which makes it a quick and easy cookie recipe. But you do use cold butter cut up into cubes. Using cold butter is a trick to thicker cookies, as they spread less. It’s a shortcut when you don’t want to chill the dough!
- Also we use two types of leavening agents in this recipe, baking soda and baking powder. The combo of the two produces the exact height and thickness.
- I love a good sweet/salty cookie. I use 1 teaspoon of kosher salt in this recipe as well as salted butter. If you are sensitive to salt, you can absolutely but this back to 1/4-1/2 teaspoon.
- And a favorite trick to the perfect chocolate chunk cookie is using a combo of both semi-sweet AND milk chocolate. You absolutely don’t have to use both types, but I love the combination of the two!
What type of chocolate do you use in this cookie recipe?
- I love using the Trader Joe’s chocolate bars. I find it’s a fantastic, affordable, QUALITY chocolate!
- There are 20 OUNCES of chocolate in this recipe so if you don’t have a Trader Joe’s near you, try and choose the highest quality chocolate you can find. I also like Guittard, Callebaut and Ghirardelli.
- You can also use chocolate chunks in a bag, instead of chopping you own! It’s totally up to you!
Use your largest cookie scoop, or measure out 1/4 cup of dough to make these perfect chocolate chunk cookies! Yes, they are huge, but you’re holding a lot of chocolate inside each!
You can certainly make smaller cookies, just adjust the baking time down a touch!
Make sure not to over-bake your chocolate chunk cookies!
Another IMPORTANT tip to these cookies is to make sure NOT to over-bake them. They can easily become cakey or hard. The bottoms will be set before the tops, which is ok, I promise!
The tops might not seem quite done yet, but it the bottoms are golden, pull them out. They will continue to bake a little more after you remove them from the oven, and under-baking slightly will ensure that your cookies will stay soft and not get dry!
These are the PERFECT Chocolate Chunk Cookies!
Looking for another Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe? I’ve got you covered!
- My long time FAVORITE Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Ritz Carlton Chocolate Chip Cookie.
- Reese’s Stuffed Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies using Grapeseed Oil.
makes 20 large cookies
- 1 cup butter, cold cut into cubes
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 10 ounces milk chocolate chunks
- 10 ounces semi sweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter until smooth and then add the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed, scraping the sides down as needed.
- Next add the eggs and vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until smooth.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour until incorporated.
- Stir in both chocolates.
- Form about 1/4 cup of cookie dough into a balls and place on baking sheet about 2 1/2 inches apart.
- Place remaining dough in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes until edges are golden. Tops of cookies might seem undercooked. Make sure to not over-bake!
- Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
Store airtight for up to 3 days.
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chunk cookies, cookie recipe, chocolate