Pizza Meatloaf is a fun and easy spin on traditional meatloaf. Chop up pepperoni or any of your favorite pizza topping and mix that right in, plus there’s a thick layer of melted mozzarella cheese in the middle that makes every bite over the top! I used Ragu Homestyle for a made-from-scratch taste without all the prep!
My kids love meatballs. Like LOVE.
But every time I make meatloaf they are…how do I put this…LESS than thrilled. Even when I try to tell them that meatloaf is like a giant meatball they still aren’t buying what I’m selling.
BUT apparently if you stuff cheese inside, top it with some Homestyle Ragu Sauce and call it “Pizza Meatloaf” their tune starts changing.
It’s all about how you market it.
And to up the pizza factor I chopped up some pepperoni and mixed that into the ground beef…
But you could absolutely leave out the pepperoni and mix in whatever your favorite pizza topping is…
Sauteed mushrooms would be great, olives…sausage crumbles…
I like to add a little Ricotta cheese to my meatloaf too to make it extra tender! You just mix everything up and then place half of it into a baking dish.
Top half with slices of mozzarella…
Then top it with the remaining mixture and make sure to seal it up tight, so the cheese doesn’t melt out.
Next grab some tomato sauce. I LOVE the new Homestyle Ragu sauces…they are thick and taste super fresh. I would even use this in place of pizza sauce on a homemade pie! There are no artificial flavors, no high fructose corn syrup, and the flavor is super bold. I really really love it. I found it at my local Stop & Shop.
Just spread that sauce on top of your meatloaf and bake it for 45 minutes…
Then spread more sauce on and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Sprinkle it with some parsley and DIG IN!
All the cheese on the inside.
This is such a simple dish, guaranteed to get your kids excited about dinnertime!Print
- 6 ounces pepperoni chopped
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 ounces sliced mozzarella
- 1 cup Homestyle Ragu sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl using your hands combine pepperoni, ground beef, egg, ricotta cheese, thyme, garlic powder, oregano, breadcrumbs, salt, and red pepper.
- Divide the mixture in half and place half of it in the prepared pan, forming into a loaf shape, creating a shallow well. Place the cheese slices in the well of the ground beef mixture. Top the cheese with the remaining meat mixture, making sure to seal the cheese inside, so it doesn’t leak out.
- Spread half of the Ragu Sauce on top of the meatloaf and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven, spread the remaining sauce on top and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve warm
Want To Save This Recipe?
*Sponsored post by Lunchbox. All opinions are my own.