These Pumpkin Molasses Cookies are soft, chewy pumpkin cookies with vanilla icing on top! Sweetened with a hint of molasses and flavored with pumpkin spice, this is the perfect fall cookie recipe!
Pumpkin Molasses Cookies are the PERFECT Fall Cookie Recipe!
This cookie recipe is the ULTIMATE in fall baking. I’ve paired up a molasses cookie and a pumpkin cookie to create a lightly spiced, buttery, chewy cookie topped with a sweet vanilla icing.
Even if you don’t think you like molasses cookies, you should absolutely give these a try! I didn’t think I liked them either, until I made them myself and realized they didn’t have to be cakey and dry, as they can sometimes be! PLUS add in a little pumpkin, and some pumpkin pie spice, and it’s really a match made in heaven!
I have fully embraced fall baking this year, trying to perfect all the classics, like Apple Pie, Pumpkin Roll, Apple Crisp, and Pecan Pie! So when I had the idea for these cookies, I knew they were a little less “traditional”, but I thought you would love them!
Mixing up favorite seasonal flavors is fun and easy to do, because they all seem to pair so well together! AND cookies are an easy option if you’re not looking for a complicated or time consuming recipe.
Tips To Make The BEST Pumpkin Molasses Cookies!
Here are a few things you should remember when you’re making these pumpkin cookies:
- Watch your bake time! Pumpkin Cookies can get dry and cakey quick if they are over-baked. The ratio of butter/sugar/pumpkin/molasses in this recipe will set you up for success, but if you over-bake them they won’t be as great. You want the tops of the cookies to be just set, and the edges to be very lightly golden. 9 minutes is perfect in my oven, but since all home ovens tend to vary, I’d keep an eye on them, as you might need to add or take away a minute. If you’re not sure, under-baking slightly is better than over-baking!
- Pumpkin Matters! Make sure you’re using 100% pure pumpkin (like Libby’s) not pumpkin pie mix!
- Molasses Can’t Be Subbed. If you don’t have a jar of molasses and want to cheat and use honey or dark corn syrup your results won’t be the same. I’m not saying those ingredients wouldn’t WORK, but you won’t get a molasses cookie without molasses!
Looking for More Pumpkin Cookie Recipes? Try These:
- Pumpkin Praline Cookies
- Pumpkin Crumb Cake Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Spice Pressed Sugar Cookies
Pumpkin Molasses Cookies are a mash up of a classic molasses cookie made with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice!
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and sugar together on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add in the molasses, pumpkin, vanilla, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix for 1 minute on medium speed until combined and smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn mixer to low and add in the flour, mixing until just combined.
- Portion out the dough using a medium (2- tablespoon) cookie scoop, and roll each into a ball. Place the balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet 2- inches apart.
- Bake for 9 minutes, or until the tops are just set.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cookies are cooled, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk until smooth. Dip the tops of each cookie in the icing and allow it to set.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, cookie recipe, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin cookie recipe, molasses cookies, molasses cookie recipe, soft molasses cookies
Want To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later