These S’mores Cookies are soft, buttery cookies loaded with mini marshmallows, milk chocolate, and graham cracker crumbs. All the flavors of the camping treat without the campfire!
Another fun spin on cookie version of s’mores is my S’mores STUFFED Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Table of Contents
I created this S’mores Cookies recipe for my book that I published back in 2016. But I thought it was time to share this recipe here on my site for those who don’t own my book! They are one of the most popular cookie recipes in my book, for good reason. The cookie itself is a buttery brown sugar cookie with graham cracker crumbs baked right in to get that classic smores flavor, and they are filled with milk chocolate and gooey marshmallows.
I actually developed a version of these way back in 2013, but made them Deep Dish Smores Cookies. I used a special pan which made thick, round cookies. But since everyone doesn’t have that pan..I’m not even sure I have that pan anymore…I wanted to adapt them so they could be made without. And oh friends, these are good!
While this cookie LOOKS a lot like a chocolate chip cookie recipe, adding graham cracker crumbs right into the dough to get that traditional s’mores taste. What that does is it adds that graham flavor, texture, as well as a hint more sweetness. It gives the buttery cookies a “graham” vibe that really sets these cookies apart. The cookie dough alone without the chocolate and marshmallows is incredible.
- Butter. I use salted, but you can use unsalted if you prefer.
- Light brown Sugar. Always measure packed in my recipes unless otherwise stated.
- Eggs. All my recipes are written using large size eggs.
- Vanilla extract
- Graham cracker crumbs. You can buy pre-crushed, or crush you own in the blender or food processor. Just make sure they are finely crushed.
- Dry Ingredients: Baking soda, kosher salt, and all purpose flour
- Milk chocolate bars. I use Hershey’s brand in these. Using a Hershey’s bar (in my opinion) is classic s’mores! If you are in a pinch and don’t have chocolate bars you can use milk chocolate chips instead.
- Marshmallow Bits (mini dehydrated marshmallows). I find these at Target and Walmart by the brand Jet-Puffed. But you can order them on Amazon HERE.
- Mini Marshmallows. You will use regular puffed mini marshmallows in this recipe on top of the cookies!
What Are Marshmallow Bits?
Marshmallow bits are tiny dehydrated marshmallows. They are the marshmallows that you find in Lucky Charms cereal or in a packet of hot chocolate, for example. I buy mine on Amazon, but you can usually find them at Target, Wal-Mart, or even the grocery store!
This is a very easy cookie recipe that will quickly become a favorite. So many people ask for the recipe for these S’mores Cookies, so if you bring them to a party, print out a few copies of the full recipe below to hand out!
To make the dough, simply cream the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes. Then add in the eggs and vanilla extract until it’s smooth.
Add in the graham cracker crumbs, baking soda, and salt and mix until evenly combined. Make sure to scrape the sides of the mixing bowl as you go to ensure everything is mixed in. Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour, mixing until it’s just incorporated. Don’t over-mix!
Finally stir in your chopped chocolate and dehydrated marshmallows. Make sure to reserve some of the chopped chocolate to press on top of the cookies after they’re baked for that bakery-style appearance.
You will then scoop the dough out using a cookie scoop. If you don’t have a scoop portion out 3 tablespoons of dough and roll it into a cookie dough ball and place them on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet. Bake the cookies for 6 minutes and then remove them from the oven.
You’ll now press the regular mini marshmallows on top, just a few on each cookie. Place the baking sheet back in the oven to finish baking. The marshmallows will puff up a little it. You do this at the end of baking, because marshmallows will melt completely if they are in the oven too long.
When they’re done press more chopped chocolate on top and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack.
I like to store these cookies, and most all my homemade cookies the same way. In an airtight container at room temperature. I use zip-top bags, or containers with tight seals. Either way will work fine!
Yes! These cookies freeze great. The only item to mention is the marshmallows on top will get very chewy after being frozen and thawed. They still taste good, but it’s something to note!
Looking For More S’mores Recipes?Print
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 24 cookies 1x
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Dessert
These S’mores Cookies are like the campfire treat without the mess…or the campfire!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 8 (1.55- ounce) milk chocolate bars, divided
- 1 1/2 cups Marshmallow Bits (mini dehydrated marshmallows)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix butter and sugar together on medium speed for 2 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy. Turn the speed down slightly and add in the eggs and the vanilla, mixing until it’s smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- With the mixer on medium-low speed add in the graham cracker crumbs, baking soda and salt, mixing until they’re incorporated.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and add in the flour until it’s just combined.
- Chop up 6 of the milk chocolate bars. Add chopped chocolate and dehydrated Marshmallow Bits into the dough and stir until combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop place the dough onto the lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 6 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and press 2-3 mini marshmallows carefully on top the top of the cookies. Place the cookie sheet back in the oven and continue baking for 4-5 minutes until the marshmallows are puffed and slightly golden and cookie edges are lightly golden as well.
- While the cookies are baking break the remaining 2 milk chocolate bars into small pieces.
- When the cookies are done, remove the pan from the oven and immediately press one piece of milk chocolate onto the top of the each cookie. The heat from the cookie will melt the chocolate slightly.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store airtight for up to 3 days.
*Marshmallow Bits are tiny dehydrated marshmallows. I find them at my local supermarket or on Amazon. If you can’t find these, don’t worry. You can easily leave them out of the cookies!
Keywords: cookies and cups, smores cookies, cookie recipe, cookies, graham crackers, milk chocolate, marshmallows
Want To Save This Recipe?
Find more recipes like this:
PIN for later:
4 comments on “S’mores Cookies”
Do the marshmallows have to be dehydrated?
Yes they do. If you add too many mini marshmallows they melt during the baking process and create a mess!
Oh my gosh, THANK YOU so much, for sharing this recipe with us on fb! I didn’t know you have a cookbook, you’re my favorite! I’m going on Amazon to buy it now I know these cookies will be great just by looking over the recipe! Definitely making this week, only missing one ingredient. Thanks again!
Aww thank you thank you!